Downloads and Change Log
You can browse all files available for download, including binary packages, at
Qtractor Files on SourceForge.net.
2017-12-04 - Autumn'17 Beta
- Audio clip gain and panning properties are now taken into
consideration when hash-linking (aka. ref-counting) their
- New out-of-process plug-in inventory scan and cache option,
replacing the old (aka. dummy) VST plug-in scan option and
extending its function to all other plug-in types: LADSPA,
DSSI and also LV2 (cache only).
- A File System browser and tree-view is finally integrated
as a dockable-widget on the main application window (cf.
main menu View / Window / File System).
- Drag-and-dropping of session, audio and MIDI files over
the main track-list (left pane) is now possible, allowing
for yet another quick means to open a new session or add
new tracks to the current session.
- MIDI input/capture time-stamping has been fixed as much
to avoid missing inbound events, when play-head is near
the loop-end point and the loop-start is set below the
absolute first half-a-second (<0.5sec).
- LV2 Time/Transport speed information is now set on rolling
when in audio export aka freewheeling mode.
- Added *.SF3 to soundfont instrument files filter, on View
> Instruments... > Import... file dialog.
- A brand new View/Options.../Display/Meters/Show meters on
track list/left pane option has been added.
2017-09-20 - End of Summer'17 Beta
- Assigned MIDI Controllers to plug-in's Activate switch are
now finally saved and (re)loaded properly across sessions.
- Audio clip panning option property is now being introduced.
- Out-of-process (aka. dummy) VST plug-in inventory scanning
now restarts automatically and resumes processing in case
of a premature exit/crash; VST plug-in inventory scan/cache
persistency is now in place.
- Desktop entry specification file is now finally independent
from build/configure template chains.
- Updated target path for freedesktop.org's AppStream metainfo
file (formerly AppData).
- Changing the View/Options.../Display/Custom/Style theme
takes effect immediately unless it's back to "(default)".
- Slightly slower but better approximation to IEEE 32bit
floating point cubic root ie. cbrtf().
2017-06-30 - The Stickiest Tauon Beta
- Make sure any just recorded clip filename is not reused
while over the same track and session. (CRITICAL)
- LV2 Plug-in worker/schedule interface ring-buffer sizes
have been increased to 4KB.
- Fixed track-name auto-incremental numbering suffix when
modifying any other track property.
- WSOLA vs. (lib)Rubberband time-stretching options are now
individualized on a per audio clip basis.
- Long overdue, some brand new and fundamental icons revamp.
- Fixed a tempo-map node add/update/remove rescaling with
regard to clip-lengths and automation/curve undo/redo.
- Fixed a potential Activate automation/curve index clash,
or aliasing, for any plug-ins that change upstream their
parameter count or index order, on sessions saved with
the old plug-in versions and vice-versa.
2017-05-10 - A Stickier Tauon Beta
- Track-name uniqueness is now being enforced, by adding
an auto-incremental number suffix whenever necessary.
- Attempt to raise an internal transient file-name registry
to prevent automation/curve files to proliferate across
several session load/save (re)cycles.
- Track-height resizing now meets immediate visual feedback.
- A brand new user preference global option is now available:
View/Options.../Plugins/Editor/Select plug-in's editor (GUI)
if more than one is available.
- More gradient eye-candy on main track-view and piano-roll
canvases, now showing left and right edge fake-shadows.
- Fixed the time entry spin-boxes when changing time offset
or length fields in BBT time format that goes across any
tempo/time-signature change nodes.
- French (fr) translation update (by Olivier Humbert, thanks).
2017-02-17 - The Sticky Tauon Beta
- The View/Options.../Display/Dialogs/Use native dialogs
option is now set initially off by default.
- All tempo and time-signature labels are now displayed
with one decimal digit, as it was in mostly everywhere
else but the time ruler/scale headers.
- JACK transport tempo and time-signature changes are now
accepted, even though playback is not currently rolling;
also, changing (JACK) Timebase master setting (cf.View/
Options.../General/Transport/Timebase) will take effect
immediately, not needing nor warning for session restart
- Track/Navigate/Next and Previous menu commands, finally
fixed to wrap around the current track list.
- Current session (JACK) transport mode option switching is
now being made accessible, from the main menu and drop-down
toolbar buttons, as well as user configurable PC-keyboard
and/or MIDI controller shortcuts (cf. Transport/Mode/None,
Slave, Master, Full).
- Fixed some auto-backward play-head position flip-flopping,
when opening a new session while the previous was still on
rolling/playing state, hopefully.
- Added French man page (by Olivier Humbert, thanks).
- MIDI clip changes are now saved unconditionally whenever
the editor (piano-roll) is closed or not currently visible.
- Audio clip peak/waveform files re-generation performance,
scalability and resilience have been slightly improved.
- Some sanitary checks have been added to audio clip peak/
waveform re-generation routine, as much to avoid empty,
blank, zero or negative-width faulty renderings.
- Do not reset the Files tree-view widgets anymore, when
leaving any drag-and-drop operation (annoyingly, all
groups and sub-groups were being closed without appeal).
- Make builds reproducible byte for byte, by getting rid of
the configure build date and time stamps.
2016-11-21 - The Snobbiest Graviton Beta
- MIDI clip tools redo/undo processing refactored as much to
avoid replication over multiple hash-linked clips; MIDI clip
editor's floating selection/anchor event stability has been
also improved, in regard to MIDI tools processing range.
- Auto-backward play-head location, when playback was last
started, is now shown on main track-view, as a momentary
dark-red vertical line marker.
- LV2 plugin-in parameter optimization: stuff consecutive
series of plug-in's parameter value changes, as much as
possible into one single undo/redo command.
- LV2_STATE__StateChanged is now recognized as a regular
atom notification event and raising the current session
dirty flag, as normal behavior.
- Adjusting clip selection edges is now possible and honored
while on the the main track-view canvas.
- Audio peak file caching and rendering, as far as audio
clip wave-forms are concerned, have been refactored and
optimized a couple of notches higher, on the ephemeral
and rather marginal throughput front ;).
- Fixed a potential crash on the singleton/unique application
- Edit/Select Mode tool-buttons moved into single drop-down
tool-button on the main and MIDI editor's tool-bar.
- Do not reset the current clip selection when updating the
main track-view extents eg. while zooming in or out.
- Automation curve node editing auto-smoothing revisited;
also fixed input MIDI RPN/NRPN running status processing,
which was crippling some plug-in automation curve nodes,
when saved in high-resolution 14-bit mode.
- Fixed the visual play-head position (vertical red line)
while zooming in or out horizontally.
- Almost complete overhaul on the configure script command
line options, wrt. installation directories specification,
eg. --prefix, --bindir, --libdir, --datadir and --mandir.
- LV2 Plugin-in worker/schedule fix: make request/response
ring-buffer writes in one go, hopefully atomic (suggested
patch by Stefan Westerfeld, while on SpectMorph, thanks).
2016-09-21 - A Snobbier Graviton Beta
- JACK buffer-size change handling has been deeply improved,
now doing an immediate session restart, while preserving all
external connections as much as possible.
- Introducing an audio and MIDI metronome anticipatory offset,
kind of latency compensation, to respective option settings
cf. View/Options.../Audio, MIDI/Metronome/Offset (latency).
- Fixed LADSPA plug-in preset switching, incidentally broken
as NOP, ever since late Haziest Photon's crash-landed.
- MIDI Track/Instrument cascading menus have been found empty
broken on Qt5 builds, now fixed.
- MIDI RPN/NRPN running status and RPN NULL reset command
are now supported (input only).
- Fixed a sure immediate crash on removing audio buses that
are current targets of any active Aux-send inserts.
- Fixed yet another old bummer that was reaping off assigned
MIDI controllers on existing track's gain/volume or panning
controls, when adding any single new track.
- Fixed missing feedback on MIDI controllers assigned to any
of monitor, record, mute and solo track/bus state buttons.
- Eye-candy warning: the current clip, not necessarily the
one currently selected, is now highlighted with a solid
outline; linked MIDI clips are also highlighted with an
alternate dashed outline.
- SFZ file conversion, and bundling of the respective sample
files, is now supported when saving as zip/archive (*.qtz).
- Fixed track monitor, record, mute and solo dangling states,
on Track/Duplicate command.
- Slight regression on the LV2 State Files abstract/relative
file-path mapping, trading QFileInfo::canonicalFilePath()
for QFileInfo::absoluteFilePath(), and thus skipping all
symlink dereferences in the process.
- Fixed a one first linking/ref-counting glitch, affecting
recently recorded MIDI clips which might have their initial
clip length still un-quantized to MIDI resolution (BBT).
- A brand new and discrete MIDI clip editor command tool has
been added: MIDI Tools/Transpose/Reverse.
- Discretely fixed MIDI Controllers catch-up algorithm.
- Fixed a borderline mistake on plug-in parameter port index
mapping to its corresponding symbolic name, especially if
newer plug-in versions are loaded on older saved sessions.
2016-06-23 - The Snobby Graviton Beta
- MIDI file track names (and any other SMF META events) are
now converted to and from the base ASCII/Latin-1 encoding,
as much to prevent invalid SMF whenever non-Latin-1 UTF-8
encoded MIDI track names are given.
- MIDI file tempo-map and location markers import/export is
now hopefully corrected, after almost a decade in mistake,
regarding MIDI resolution conversion, when different than
current session's setting (TPQN, ticks-per-quarter-note
aka. ticks-per-beat, etc.)
- Introducing LV2 UI Show interface support for other types
than Qt, Gtk, X11 and lv2_external_ui.
- Prevent any visual updates while exporting (freewheeling)
audio tracks that have at least one plugin activate state
automation enabled for playback (as much for not showing
messages like "QObject::connect: Cannot queue arguments
of type 'QVector'"... anymore).
- The common buses management dialog (View/Buses...) sees
the superfluous Refresh button finally removed, while two
new button commands take its place: (move) Up and Down.
- LV2 plug-in Patch support has been added and LV2 plug-ins
parameter properties manipulation is now accessible on the
generic plug-in properties dialog.
- Fixed a recently introduced bug, that rendered all but one
plug-in instance to silence, affecting only DSSI plug-ins
which implement DSSI_Descriptor::run_multiple_synths() eg.
fluidsynth-dssi, hexter, etc.
2016-04-27 - The Haziest Photon Beta
- LV2 UI Touch feature/interface support added.
- MIDI aware plug-ins are now void from multiple or parallel
- MIDI tracks and buses plug-in chains now honor the number
of effective audio channels from the assigned audio output
bus; dedicated audio output ports will keep default to the
stereo two channels.
- Plug-in rescan option has been added to plug-ins selection
dialog (yet another suggestion by Frank Neumann, thanks).
- Dropped the --enable-qt5 from configure as found redundant
given that's the build default anyway (suggestion by Guido
- Immediate visual sync has been added to main and MIDI clip
editor thumb-views (a request by Frank Neumann, thanks).
- Fixed an old MIDI clip editor contents disappearing bug,
which manifested when drawing free-hand (ie. Edit/Select
Mode/Edit Draw is on) over and behind its start/beginning
position (while in the lower view pane).
2016-04-05 - A Hazier Photon Beta
- Plug-ins search path and out-of-process (aka. dummy) VST
plug-in inventory scanning has been heavily refactored.
- Fixed and optimized all dummy processing for plugins with
more audio inputs and/or outputs than channels on a track
or bus where it's inserted.
- Fixed relative/absolute path mapping when saving/loading
custom LV2 Plug-in State Presets.
2016-03-21 - The Hazy Photon Beta
- Beat unit divisor, aka. the denominator or lower numeral
in the time-signature, have now a visible and practical
effect over the time-line, even though the standard MIDI
tempo(BPM) is always denoted in beats as quarter-notes
(1/4, crotchet, seminima) per minute.
- Fixed an old hack on LV2 State Files abstract/relative
file-path mapping when saving custom LV2 Presets (after
a related issue on Fabla2, by Harry Van Haaren, thanks).
- Default PC-Keyboard shortcuts may now be erasable and re-
assigned (cf. Help/Shortcuts...).
- New option on the audio/MIDI export dialog, on whether to
add/import the exported result as brand new track(s).
- Introducing brand new track icons property.
- Old Dry/Wet Insert and Aux-send pseudo-plugin parameters
are now split into separate Dry and Wet controls, what
else could it possibly be? :)
- Brand new MIDI Insert and Aux-Send pseudo-plugins are now
implemented with very similar semantics as the respective
and existing audio counterparts.
- Implement LV2_STATE__loadDefaultState feature (after pull
request by Hanspeter Portner aka. ventosus, thanks).
- Plug-ins search paths internal logic has been refactored;
an alternative file-name based search is now in effect for
LADSPA, DSSI and VST plug-ins, whenever not found on their
original file-path locations saved in a previous session.
- Finally added this brand new menu Clip/Cross Fade command,
aimed on setting fade-in/out ranges properly, just as far
to (auto)cross-fade consecutive overlapping clips.
2016-01-28 - The Tackiest Gluon Beta
- Eye-candy warning: muted/non-soloed tracks are now shaded
over the main thumb-view.
- Faster and crispier VST plugin editor (GUI) idle cycles.
- Fixed all core processing when any plugin has more audio
outputs than channels on a track/bus where it's inserted.
- Added one decimal digit to all percentage input spin-boxes
on the MIDI Tools dialog.
- Added brand new and global option to disable the so called
"catch-up" default behavior (cf. View/Controllers.../Sync).
- Fixed some track control issues related to MIDI Controllers
generic mapping (cf. View/Controllers...).
- Try making Help/Shortcuts... dialog window modeless, as far
as under MIDI Controller, Inputs/Outputs Connections window
also gets accessible enough.
- Fixed some vertical scrolling and play-head line re-drawing
glitches introduced by the recent unlimited slack to editing
beyond current contents length on main tracks view.
- Added one decimal digit to the Pitch-shift spin-box on audio
Clip/Edit... properties dialog window.
- Added application keywords to freedesktop.org's AppData.
- Fixed local keyboard shortcuts on the Files organizer widget
actions and context-menu.
- Improved Mixer multi-row layout (patch by Holger Marzen aka.
- Fixed the Ctrl+drag/cloning left of a clip when towards near
the beginning of session.
2015-12-29 - A Tackier Gluon
- Slight increase on the number of decimal digits for the plugin
parameters while on the generic plugin properties dialog. Also
applied to automation curve node value editing.
- Unlimited slack is now in effect on editing over and beyond
the current session or clip contents length, on both the main
tracks and MIDI clip editor (piano-roll) views.
- Ctrl+click and dragging the left or right edges of a clip will
now make it spill over and replicate as many clip clones as it
fits in the left or right horizontal extent.
- Added View/Note Type and Value Type command menus to the MIDI
clip editor (aka. piano-roll) which opens the possibility for
discrete shortcuts to switching views eg. Note Velocity and
Controller views (after a kind request by yubatake, thanks).
- Fixed the conversion and/or override of MIDI clip offsets when
moving and copy/pasting across tempo/time-signature changes.
- Fixed MIDI file track/channel duration estimator, which was
giving quite wrong and way too short reads.
- Fixed a drag-and-drop bug over the main tracks view, when new
tracks were being inserted at the top and not to the bottom as
is normally indicated by the floating visual placeholder.
- Fixed LV2UI_Resize handle from extension_data(LV2_UI__resize),
now passing LV2UI_Handle in first argument to ui_resize(), as
found correct and needed for resizable/scaleable LV2 UI's, most
specially to ssj71's so called Infamous Plugins, thanks.
2015-12-10 - The Tacky Gluon Beta
- Yet another audio/MIDI time drift correction fix, now giving
it some slack while turnaround looping on tempo changes.
- Prevent x11extras module from use on non-X11/Unix platforms.
- MIDI Track/Instrument cascading pop-up menus have been added,
to main and MIDI clip editor windows.
- VST Plugin preset/bank files support (FXB/FXP) is now being
integrated to the generic Plugin/Properties widget dialog.
- Added new Track/Duplicate menu command.
- Added simple XRUN red indicator to status bar.
- Make sure program change/presets are not selected on possibly
multi-timbral instrument plugins when inserted on a MIDI bus.
- Prefer Qt5 over Qt4 by default with configure script.
- Fixed a potential crash-bug on first enabling either once the
audio or MIDI metronomes.
2015-10-09 - The Meson Dope Beta
- Fixed an ages old MIDI track/channel instrument mapping (bank,
program) issue that prevented normal all-shut-up messages from
being sent to MIDI output buses/ports on playback stop.
- Messages standard output capture has been improved again, now
in both ways a non-blocking pipe may get.
- Fixed port on MIDI 14-bit controllers input caching.
- Fixed false value readings on the MIDI clip editor (aka. piano
-roll) tool-tips, when dragging a note velocity or controller
value outside the acceptable nominal range (eg. 0-127).
- Added LV2_BUF_SIZE__nominalBlockLength option support (patch
by falktx aka. Filipe Coelho, thanks).
- Fixed wrong initial tempo/time-signature display when session
is loaded from command line.
- LV2 plug-in UI GTK2 and X11 in Qt5 host native support added.
- Transport/Auto Backward feature now honoring (auto return) to
same current location precedence as Transport/Backward.
- Single/unique application instance control adapted to Qt5/X11
(cf. configure --enable-xunique).
- MIDI Tools/Transpose, Resize duration display format (frames,
time or BBT) have been fixed.
- Build fix for Qt5.5 (patch by KaOS, thanks).
- MIDI Tools/Quantize et al. are tentatively being corrected
to take event times as relative to THE beginning of session,
instead of MIDI clip start location.
2015-07-24 - The Muon Base Beta
- Complete rewrite of Qt4 vs. Qt5 configure builds.
- Revised MIDI Controlllers catch-up algorithm.
- Mixer multi-row layout gets a little bit of a fairness fix.
- Non-continuous MIDI Controllers now have their Hook and Latch
options disabled as those are found not applicable,
- As an alternative to PC-keyboard shortcuts, MIDI controllers
are now also assignable and configurable for any of the main
menu command actions, all from the same old configuration
- Fixed missing Track and Clip sub-menus from Edit/context-menu
that were found AWOL ever since after the Lazy Tachyon beta
release (> 0.6.6).
- An off-by-one bar position (as in BBT, bar, beat and ticks)
has been purportedly fixed as long as LV2 Time/Position atom
event transfer goes.
- French (fr) translation line to desktop file added (patch by
Olivier Humbert, thanks).
- A new top-level widget window geometry state save and restore
sub-routine is now in effect.
- Improved MIDI clip editor resilience across tempo and time-
- Keyboard shortcuts configuration (Help/Shortcuts...) now
lists complete menu/action path where available.
- Fixed in-flight VST plugin editor (GUI) resizing.
- Added support to LV2UI_portMap extension, found really handy
for the cases where you have multiple plugins with different
port configurations and a single common UI to drive them all
(pull request by Hanspeter Portner aka. ventosus, thanks).
2015-05-27 - The Lepton Acid Beta
- MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll) position, size, and view
/event type criteria are now persistent, across session and
user preferences application state.
- Generic plugin form widget position is now also preserved
across open/save session cycles.
- MIDI clip editor resilience is about to get an improvement,
fe. it doesn't close on stopping record/overdub anymore.
- Introducing (JACK) Timebase master setting as an option
to Transport mode (cf. View/Options.../General/Transport
- LV2 plug-in MIDI/Event support now slanted for deprecation.
- Spanish (es) translation added, by avid Reyes Pucheta.
- It's live: audio track export (cf. Track/Export Tracks/
Audio...) has been deeply refactored to finally include
MIDI track/instrument plugins rendering (aka. freeze) on
selected audio output buses on mix-down. (EXPERIMENTAL)
- MIDI file player now does (N)RPN 14-bit controller events.
- Track properties dialog output bus switch fix/optimization;
also fixed multiple DSSI instance reference count on close.
- Fixed for some strict tests for Qt4 vs. Qt5 configure builds.
- German (de) translation update (by Guido Scholz, thanks).
2015-03-29 - The Lazy Tachyon Beta
- MIDI clip record/reopen to/from SMF format 0 has been fixed.
- LV2 and VST plugins GUI editor widget position is preserved
across hide/show cycles.
- Added application description as freedesktop.org's AppData.
- Added a "Don't ask this again" prompt option to zip/archive
extrated directory removal/replace warning messages.
- MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll) gets lingering notes
properly shown while on record/overdubbing.
- Current highlighted client/port connections are now drawn
with thicker connector lines.
- Fixing segfaults due to QClipboard::mimeData() returning an
invalid null pointer while on Qt5 and Weston.
- Return of an old hack/fix for some native VST plugins with
GUI editor, on whether to skip the explicit shared library
unloading on close and thus avoid some mysterious crashes
on session and/or application exit.
- Force reset of plugin selection list when any of the plugin
search paths change (in View/Options.../Plugins/Paths).
- Recursive VST plugin search is now in effect for inventory
and discovery on path sub-directories (VST only).
- Non-dummy scannig for regular VST, non-shell plugins, were
doomed to infinite-loop freezes on discovery, now fixed.
2015-01-30 - The Fermion Ray Beta
- Connections lines now drawn with anti-aliasing; connections
splitter handles width is now reduced; the MIDI connections
splitter pane sizes are now saved and restored properly.
- Extended multi-selection is now featured on the track-list
(main left-pane), primarily allowing for group mute/solo
(and monitor) switching.
- Track-list (left pane) header column widths are now saved
and made persistent across application power cycle (double
-click reverts to the old original default).
- Minor fixes on the MIDI clip event list editor, also making
sure the current event is visible on the piano-roll view.
- As long to prevent asynchronous mistakes to JACK transport
state changes, an internal slack-delay is now introduced
after self-initiated transport commands (eg. start/stop).
- The MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll) was missing to
clear or reset the current selection when no shift/ctrl
keyboard modifier is in effect.
- VST-shell sub-plugins are now supported (as suggested by
abique aka. Alexandre Bique, thanks).
- MIDI clip record/overdubbing is now possible (Clip/Record
on the main menu or File/Record from the MIDI clip editor.
- Make sure some audio sample file encodings (eg. old Ogg
Vorbis) does not head-start on audio peak generation.
2014-11-24 - The Baryon Throne Beta
- Fixed some old loop-recording clip drawing glitches.
- Current assigned track/channel instrument definition
names for MIDI controllers, note keys, RPN and NRPN,
are now in effect on the MIDI clip editor drop-down
lists, whether available.
- Clip/Take/Range... input dialog values are now properly
sanitized as long to prevent invalid take/folding ranges.
- Audio capture/export file type default now set to "wav".
- Extending punch-in/out over loop-recording/takes modes.
- Make audio tracks monitoring always flow while playback
is rolling, independently of their mute/solo state.
- Fixed undo/redo conversion of audio clip offsets under
(automatic) time-stretching eg. due on tempo changes.
(ticket by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- Latch/momentary MIDI Controllers toggle mode introduced
(a request by AutoStatic aka. Jeremy Jongepier, thanks).
- JACK client/port pretty-name (metadata) support is being
seamlessly introduced. (EXPERIMENTAL)
- Audio frame/MIDI time drift correction is now an option on
View/Options.../MIDI/Playback/Enable MIDI queue time drift
- Transport auto-backward feature now honoring last position
playback was started.
- Introducing brand new application user preferences on
View/Options.../Display/Options/Custom style and color
themes (eg. "KXStudio", by Filipe Coelho aka. falkTX).
- Mixer widget gets automatic multi-row strip layout.
- Clip fade-in/out now follows time-stretch resizing, via
shift/ctrl+click and drag one of its edges.
- Fixed a typo causing FTBFS when VST plug-in support is
explicity disabled (./configure --disable-vst).
2014-09-22 - The Armed Hadron Beta
- Make the mouse-wheel to scroll the plugin list views, when
not hovering a direct-access parameter slider.
- Mixer widget gets (un)dockable Inputs and Outputs panels,
also with their respective title captions.
- Plugin instantiation is now constrained as much to prevent
any audio channel output overriding.
- Existing plugin presets may now be selected right(-click)
from plugin list context-menu (ticket by Harry van Haaren,
- So-called "painting" over multiple selected event values,
while on the MIDI clip editor view pane below the main
piano-roll (eg. note velocities, controller values, etc.)
is now split into two similar painting modes, whether the
sub-menu Edit/Select Mode/Edit Draw is set on (free-hand)
or off (linear).
- Drag-and-copy of plug-in instances across tracks or buses
(ie. cloning) now also copies the direct access parameter
setting (ticket by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- File/Save As... now prompts and suggests an incremental
backup name for existing sessions files.
- Zooming in/out increment is now augmented by whether shift
/ctrl keyboard modifiers are set (on a ticket request by
Holger Marzen, thanks).
- LV2 Time position event messages for plugin atom ports that
support it is now being implemented.
- Attempt to break extremely long audio file peak generation
on session close or program exit (as reported by EternalX,
- MIDI Controllers Hook and Invert properties are now properly
saved for tracks (after bug report by Nicola Pandini, thanks).
- A segmentation fault when closing with VST plugins open has
been hopefully fixed (after a patch by EternalX, thanks).
- Messages standard output capture has been slightly improved
as for non-blocking i/o, whenever available.
- Automation curve node editing has been slightly improved
in regard to time positioning and resolution.
2014-07-07 - The Boson Walk Beta
- Prevent linear and spline automation curve modes for all
integer valued subjects. Also, make sure those values are
rounded to the nearest integer away from zero.
- Fixed save of LV2 Presets for plugins with state files.
- A man page has beed added (making up Gürkan Sengün's work
on debian, thanks).
- When moving plugins by eg. drag-and-dropping across tracks,
automation curves were being left behind, maybe leading to
unpredictable mistaken behavior. Hopefully, not anymore.
- Translations install directory change.
- Automation curves are now automatically re-adjusted to tempo
map node changes (after a ticket by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- Audio/MIDI files or plugins found missing on session load
are now subject for an explicit modal warning message and
prompt for an immediate session backup salvage.
- Changing instrument plugin programs is now an undo/redo-able
command operation, especially for DSSI but also for plugins
that come with the LV2 Programs interface extension support
- Drawing, selecting and/or resizing of MIDI note events that
extend across tempo/time-signature changes is now made a bit
more correctly over the MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll),
especially regarding to current snap-to-beat setting (after
an outstanding ticket by yubatake, thanks).
- Once again, audio frame/MIDI time drift correction has been
slightly refactored to improve MIDI input monitor and timing.
- Discrete automation curve node values may now be edited via
a numerical entry floating spin-box on double-click (as yet
another request by AutoStatic aka. Jeremy Jongepier, thanks).
- Pressing shift/ctrl keyboard modifiers while double-clicking
on a plugin list entry now briefly reverses the current View
/Options.../Plugins/Editor/Open plugin's editor (GUI) by
default option preference.
- Fixed an old crash lurker when switching output buses that
implied a change on the number of audio channels, while on
tracks that have (auto-)monitor turned on and at least one
active plugin in chain (yet another ticket by AutoStatic
aka. Jeremy Jongepier, thanks).
- MIDI Controller assignment (aka MIDI learn) and/or automation
of plugins (de)activation state has been added (as requested
by AutoStatic aka. Jeremy Jongepier, thanks).
- LV2 UI Idle and Show interfaces support added.
- Allow the build system to include an user specified LDFLAGS
(patch by Alessio Treglia aka. quadrispro, thanks).
2014-04-29 - The Bitsy Sweet Beta
- New user preference option added as View/Options.../Display
/Transport/Hold auto-scrolling (follow play-head) on edits
(after requests by Holger Marzen and Louigi Verona, thanks).
- All color chooser dialogs were missing proper titles.
- Audio peak file re-generation and clean-up has been hopefully
fixed and cache optimized (re. drawing audio clip waveforms).
- Fixed initial session snap-per-beat setting on main toolbar.
- Clip/Export...'ed files are now made persistent, no questions
asked (after a ticket by Oliver Kester, thanks).
- Portuguese (pt) translation added (by Esteban Viveros, thanks).
2014-03-21 - The Byte Bald Beta
- New user option added: on whether to save plugins automation
values with higher resolution as possible, using 14-bit NRPN:
cf. View/Options.../Plugins/Experimental/High resolution
plugin automation (default=off).
- Generic native plugin dialogs now shows an additional "About"
last page where authorship credits are due.
- A new user preference option is now in place for whether to
use desktop environment's own native file requester/browser
dialogs (View/Options.../Display/Dialogs/Use native dialogs).
- A bit of slack have been introduced to put "Follow Playhead"
(aka. auto-scroll view mode) on hold, while doing in-flight
selection edit moves.
- Fixed some user interface related annoyances while on the MIDI
Controllers mappings (ie. View/Controllers...).
- Fixed port origin on MIDI RPN/NRPN 14-bit controllers input.
- A discretionary plug-in unique identifier have been devised for
when more than one from the same type are inserted on a bus or
track chain, avoiding destructive clashing of automation data.
- Horizontal scrolling shift+mouse-wheel direction now reversed.
- LV2 Dyn(amic)-manifest support is now optional (default=off);
cf. View/Options.../Plugins/Experimental/LV2 Dynamic Manifest
- The following options, although decieved on View/Options... as
global configuration options, were always and still are proper
session instance properties: (JACK) Transport mode, MMC mode,
MMC device, MIDI SPP and MIDI Clock modes, are now shown there
reflecting the current open session state.
- A couple of run-time circumventions have been hacked in, both
strictly related to when NSM session management is in charge:
1) the new session template feature is disabled (was aborting
initial NSM new client additions); 2) the native (as from the
desktop environment eg. KDE) file browser/requester dialogs are
disabled (were taking too long to list the current directory on
first time invocation).
- Update current automation/curve nodes selection while changing
horizontal (time axis) zoom levels.
- One liner's attempt to make it consistent behaviour on resizing
and moving multiple selected notes or events while on the MIDI
clip editor (aka. piano-roll; after a ticket request from Daniel
MacDonald aka. danboid, thanks).
- Introducing tiny quarter-note/crotchet/seminima/beat icon on all
snap-to-beat selection items get a new icon :).
- Corrected some audio buffering boundary conditions that were
causing dead-loops/freezes while merging some audio clips.
- Session auto-save period was chronically reduced to one third
of its user setting; non critical but fixed now.
2013-12-31 - The Mike November
- Fixed another off-by-one MIDI plugin chain timing bug, delaying
the actual playback of the first MIDI event, whenever it started
at the same and as long as the initial play-head position (after
another ticket by Holger Marzen, thanks again).
- A new LV2 host convention is in effect on plugins that expose
multiple AtomPort's in either direction: only the first input
or output declared AtomPort is eligible to convey regular MIDI
data events (introduced while trying Frank Kober's forthcoming
QmidiArp LV2 suite of plugins, thanks).
- Zooming with shift/ctrl+mouse-wheel and pointing over the main
tracks view or MIDI clip editor time ruler header's now fixed.
- A rare freezing loop condition has been fixed on the oldest of
MIDI file save/write routines (after a ticket and solution by
Tuomas Airaksinen, thanks again).
- Copy/paste now preserving clip names (ticket by Holger Marzen,
- Scaling of whole tempo map with a given factor has been added,
through a spin-box and button in Tempo Map / Markers dialog,
after a long overdue patch by Tuomas Airaksinen, thanks again.
- When issued from main tracks view (ie. Clip/Tools menu) MIDI
clip tools are now a bit more crash-resilient re. undo/redo-
- Session auto-save / crash-recovery support is now on trial as
in View/Options.../General/Session/Auto-save current working
session every 10 minutes (default on).
- Plugin-list chain context-menu now includes MIDI instrument
audio output options to existing non-dedicated output buses,
any other than the previous hard-wired default (eg. Master).
- Tracks export now allows for the mix-down/merge of multiple
audio/MIDI output buses (Track/Export Tracks).
- When adding new tracks, try preserving the last selected bus
names, while not the default Master ones (after a suggestion
from danboid aka. Daniel MacDonald, thanks).
- More preparations for Qt5 configure build.
- Brand new thumb-(over)view toolbar widget added to MIDI clip
editor window (aka. piano-roll overview).
- General MIDI RPN/NRPN 14-bit controller support is now being
introduced on real-time MIDI input parsing, on standard MIDI
file I/O, on MIDI Controller options and, of course, on MIDI
clip and event list editor.
- Pretty innocent nitpick on most thread cleanup routines.
2013-10-07 - The Lima Oscar
- Adding a track now inserts it after the current one, if any;
one can also drag and move a track below the last one in the
track list (main view left pane).
- Extended Edit/Select Mode/Automation: multi-selection mode,
cut, copy, paste and delete of current track's automation
curve nodes, now reached implementation ready status.
- Another old silent bug bites the dust: changing track names
were dropping any track gain/volume and panning automation
curves when saving the session.
- A primeval processing bug has been sorted out: aux-sends to
audio output buses that just appear to be after the input
bus where they're inserted were being left muted and silent
(on a ticket follow-up by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- Fixed a sure crash bug exposed when processing of aux-send
plugins when inserted too early on audio input buses chain
(after a ticket report by Holger Marzen, thanks).
- Allow the build system to include an user specified CFLAGS
(patch by Cristian Morales Vega, thanks).
- Shift/Ctrl keyboard modifiers now set to extend current clip
selection while in main track view's Edit/Select Mode/Range,
- Main Edit/Select Mode/Automation icon retouched to look a bit
more obvious and intuitive, hopefully ;)
- Allow to change the velocities/values of the current selected
events which have the exact same onset times and hide beyhond
each other on the MIDI clip editor's pane below the main view
piano-roll (ie. the one that represents MIDI event values as a
- Fixed some problematic playback/export muting and annoying
cleanup freezing, due on audio tracks with too many clips
eg. more than hundred clip splits (hopefully fixes an issue
reported by Louigi Verona, thanks).
- LV2 UI resize feature support/control added.
- Fixed dedicated MIDI control and MIDI metronome port connection
restore conflict (thanks to jhammen catch & patch:).
- New user preference option added: reverse middle-button role to
Shift/Ctrl keyboard state, in special regard to edit-head/tail
vs. play-head positioning while on the main track and MIDI clip
editor (aka. piano-roll) views.
2013-07-18 - The Kilo Papa
- Default drum-key note names are now properly showing on MIDI
tracks that are assigned to known drum/percussive instrument
patches (eg. SoundFont 2 (.sf2) bank 128).
- Time display format (frames, clock-time or BBT) may now be
changed from the context-menu on any time entry spin-box.
- LV2 plugin support is now tightly tied to liblilv; the same tie
applies to LV2 plugin UI support and libsuil and vice-versa.
- Mixer buses racks (ie. left/input and right/output panes) are
now both kept fixed-width when whole mixer window is resized.
- Unconditional LV2 Dyn(amic)-manifest support has been added.
- Main track-view Edit/Insert,Remove/Range dialog is now being
introduced with optional applicability to Clips, Loop, Punch
in/out, Automation, Tempo-map and/or Markers.
- New range removal editing tool, split/moving clips backward
at the specified edit-head/tail interval (Edit/Remove/Range,
Track Range)--by Tuomas Airaksinen, thanks.
- Andy Fitzsimon's original icon from opencliparts.org makes
it through as the default standard scalable format (SVG).
- Automation's back in effect on Track/Export Tracks.../Audio.
- Reversed shift/ctrl keyboard modifier roles on middle-button
clicking over the main track and MIDI clip editor views (aka.
piano-roll) in regression to original old semantics.
- Color selection actions now have a brand new palette icon.
- Make sure main track-view and MIDI clip editor selection is
only cleared on specific discrete commands.
- Try keeping the original session file in most recent files
menu list, despite current version auto-incremental backup
mode is in effect.
- Fixed non-zero clip offsets upon tempo/time-scale changes.
- Some sympathy to extreme dark color (read black) schemes is
now indulged on empty backgrounds.
2013-06-06 - The Juliet Quebec
- Auto-incremental version numbering of backup session files;
brand new versioning mode option added.
- Fixed one long as ever MIDI file export bug, which was about
washing all self-induced MIDI bank-select (CC#0, CC#32) and
program-change (PC#) events into MIDI channel 1, regardless
of the source track/channel.
- Fixed initial sample-rate settlement on plugin chains for all
tracks and buses whenever a session file original sample-rate
differs from the current audio device engine (ie. JACK).
- New German (de) translation added (by Guido Scholz, thanks).
- Now accepting JACK transport tempo and time-tignature changes
while in slave transport mode.
- Fix ref-count and auto-removal of created files that result
from clip merge/export when session is closed but not saved.
- MIDI track instrument bank/program selection, from plugin UIs
that support it, is now effectively and complete.
- Custom connections for dedicated audio outputs from all plugin
chains in MIDI tracks or buses are back in business, hopefuly
restored gain on session load (ticket by yuba, thanks).
- Track Properties dialog now dirty after any plugin related
change (another head-up by yuba, thanks again).
- Tempo Map/Markers dialog is not set initially dirty anymore.
- Audio buses plugin state's persistance were found AWOL: while
being properly saved as usual, were being restored to default
on every session reload (as noticed by yuba, thanks).
- NSM (Non Session Management) support is being introduced.
- The MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll) gets a brand new rescale
mode: ctrl+dragging the right edge of a note now rescales all
times and duration of all the subsequent selected notes (after
an interesting idea/ticket by Joel Leclerc, thanks).
- The new MIDI clip editor rescale mode also applicable to event
values (eg. note velocities, pitch-bend), while ctrl+dragging
the edges of an event vertical bar.
- VST plugin (GUI) idle timer makes a comeback.
- Hard-wired LV2 UI selection order for plugins which supply more
than one option (lv2_external_ui gets always honored first then,
as provided via libsuil, X11, GTK and last but not least, Qt4).
2013-03-19 - The India Romeo
- Dropped old audio ramping spin-locks as its glitching reduction
weren't that effective anymore.
- Audio bus and track gain may now be set for amplification again,
from +0dB up to +6dB, while using the Mixer strip sliders/faders
(an old function found missing ever since pre-TYOQA).
- Basic LV2 X11 UI support has been added through libSUIL but only
really effective if plugins doesn't support the LV2 External UI
extension in addition which takes precedence on any case.
- Improved precision tolerance on the Tempo Map / Markers dialog.
- Reinstated and fixed (old) warning and impending re-conversion on
loading session files which the original sample-rate differs from
current audio device engine (aka. JACK).
- LV2 Plugin State/Preset name discrimination fix (after a ticket
by Jiri Prochaszka aka. Anchakor, thanks:)
- Linked/ref-counted audio clips must not overlap and now must have
a buffer-size worth of a gap between each other.
- Something fishy has been detected in the SSE (not so) optimized
code from SoundTouch's-inspired WSOLA time-stretching.
- Splitting clips apart is now easier than ever: a brand new entry
enters the main menu scene: Edit/Split (Ctrl+Y) splits up clips
according to current range/rectangular selection.
- Audio clip offsets are now properly corrected when time-stretching
is applied via Shift/Ctrl+dragging any of the clip edges.
- One semi-colon typo was hiding proper descrimination of peak files
used to draw distinct waveforms of time-stretched audio clips.
- Track automation curves are now also affected by Edit/Insert/Range
- Finally, some visual feedback is shown while audio track export
is running, in he form of a main status progress bar.
- New user option: save backup versions of existing session files.
- Default session directory now set to regular file's path on load.
- A convenient minimum slack duration has been fixed for MIDI SysEx
- LV2 Time/position information is now asynchronously fed back into
their parameter (control input) ports when designated.
- LV2 State is now properly restored for plugins inserted on buses,
probably solving the Calf Fluidsynth SoundFont information missing
on buses ticket, reported by Albert Graef, thanks.
- Fixed an immediate null pointer crash on creating a parentless new
group while on the files organizer widget.
- Preparations for future Qt5 migration.
2012-12-27 - The Hotel Sierra
- Loop and punch in/out ranges may now get set simultaneously, may
even overlap each other. However, punch in/out range recording
will always prevail over any loop recording takes.
- LV2 Worker/Schedule now supporting multi-instance vs. single-UI
- LV2 Options and Buf-size extension support added.
- Fixed an off-by-one-tick bug on MIDI file input which was leaving
spurious zero-length runt notes at the end of a MIDI clip, if a
note-on coincides with the ending/split point (on ticket issued
by Jonathan H. Pickard, thanks).
- Good old SLV2 library support for LV2 plug-ins (libslv2) is now
irrevocably deprecated, or better said, completely wiped-out from
the LV2 host code, now considered extinct.
- LV2 UI parameter updates are now asynchronously detached from the
source GUI widget thread, in attempt to improve cross-GUI-toolkit
responsiveness, specially focused on LV2 plugins with a GTK based
UI (eg. amsynth, triceratops, etc.).
- Make sure LV2 UI parameters (input control ports) get updated when
loading a genuine LV2 state preset.
- Improved the (custom) tempo spin-box widget signal(ing) processing
- Show proper pointing cursor and location tool-tip while dragging any
of the time ruler markers (including latest location markers/bar).
- On saving as an archive/zip session file (suffix .qtz) include only
those files that are actually referenced by live clips arrangement.
- Ongoing integration of location markers infrastructure (time-scale
and MIDI-file support).
- Free-hand/linear retouching of event values, while on the MIDI clip
editor's view pane below the main piano-roll (eg. note velocities),
is now possible provided the target events are selected, otherwise
the usual painting edit sub-mode applies (cf. menu Edit/Select Mode/
- The MIDI clip editor now senses which target view pane has focus for
general selection commands (cf. Edit/Select/None, All, Invert, Range)
whether the main piano-roll or the event value (velocities) view.
- Mouse middle-button clicking is back in business on main track-view
and on MIDI clip editor views (piano-roll) as an immediate play-head
(re)positioning command or merge/reset the edit-head/tail cursors if
Shift/Ctrl keyboard modifiers are pressed.
- Formerly protected, class qtractorClip::FadeFunctor is now public
in an shot-in-the-dark attempt to fix clang builds (as reported by
Jekyll Wu, thanks).
- Override all sub-classed widgets mouse-pointer event handlers to be
isolated from base widget style and/or window management.
2012-10-02 - The Golf Tango
- Day 1 post-release fix: LV2 plugins with a GTK GUI were not shown
due to their respective widget (GdkWidget) being prematurely and
unexpectedly destroyed when raised (via libsuil).
- The dedicated audio outputs setting for instrument plugins was not
in effect as default global option for new MIDI tracks, now fixed,
hopefully (thanks to danboid aka. Daniel MacDonald persistence).
- An immediate Files widget cleanup option is now made available, as
to select and remove all unused file entries.
- MIDI track (un)solo/mute reset clip event sequence fixing; definite
regression to MIDI track's occasional muting bug while clip editing
and playback is rolling.
- Apologies due on this one: shift/ctrl keyboard modifiers are back
in business to change MIDI events currently selected in one single
step while on MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll). Sorry.
- Japanese (ja) translation added (by Takashi Sakamoto).
- General time-scale bar, beat and tempo rounding fixing.
- Keyboard shortcuts configuration (Help/Shortcuts...) now checks and
warns for already assigned key sequences.
- The View/Snap menu is now listed as fully accessible actions, making
each snap-per-beat setting assignable to a keyboard shortcut (after
a feature request by danboid aka. Daniel MacDonald, thanks).
- Fixed MIDI resize tool, now applying symmetric proportional changes
to pitch-bend event values [-8191, +8191].
- Fixed re-loading of LV2 Presets that are newly created/saved during
current session; actually delete and remove a LV2 Preset if found
in the file-system (as suggested by Jiri Prochaszka aka. Anchakor,
- Preset drop-down list is now sorted, on plugin properties dialog.
- After a long absence, edit(blue) cursor vertical lines are back on
the MIDI clip editor views (aka. piano-roll).
- LV2 1.0.0 compliance phase II: LV2 State Files support completed.
- Updated to newer LV2 External UI extension support (now maintained
by Filipe Coelho aka. falktx).
- Brand new editing tool: empty range insertion, split/moving clips
or events forward the specified edit-head/tail interval, defaults
to next measure or bar (cf. menu Edit/Insert/Range, Track Range).
- Don't show the waiting cursor anymore when loading any plugins which
might have a nice native editor (GUI) and options are set to show it.
- MIDI clip editor now hopefully rid of random but persistent muting,
a slight regression to editing while playback is rolling.
- A MIDI file player's bug, evident while transport rolling in looped
mode, has been fixed with yet another oneliner patch (kind by Jiri
Prochaszka aka. Anchakor, thanks again).
- LV2 plugins with a Qt4 GUI (guess what or whom?) are now guaranteed
to some reasonable window type like Qt::Widget but not Qt::Dialog
nor Qt::Popup, preventing those from standing always on top while
on some window managers or desktop environments (a simple addition
by Jiri Prochaszka aka. Anchakor, thanks).
- MIME type icons support for session (*.qtr *.qtr), template (*.qtt)
and zip/archive (*.qtz) are now being introduced.
- LV2 State Files feature support is shamelessly getting real trial,
now letting files referenced in LV2 plugin states to be seamlessly
included when saving to a zip/archive file bundle (.qtz suffix).
- Added some virtual destructor stubs to shut up gcc 4.7 warnings.
- Improved plugin state resilience, now finally with parameter name
matching, specifically targeted on loading old sessions or plugin
preset files (.qtx), preserving old saved plugin states as much as
possible in face of rogue or discrete parameter index renumbering,
due naturally on any plugin's life cycle ie. upgrades etc.;)
- Added some more snap-to-beat divisors (Beat/14, /21 and /28) due on
feature request ticket, while dropping highest, probably useless one
- New French (fr) translation added (by Yann Collette, thanks).
- Slight late optimization on vertical zebra/grid lines drawing.
2012-06-15 - The Foxtrot Uniform
- Auto-monitored MIDI tracks were missing their pass-through to their
respective MIDI output bus plugin chains, now fixed and letting any
multi-timbral instrument plugin to get a peek from auto-monitoring.
- New user option/preference to whether to open a plugin's editor (GUI)
by default, when available (cf. View/Options.../Plugins/Editor).
- Clicking and/or dragging for rubber-band selection on main track-view
canvas doesn't change the edit-head and -tail positions anymore.
- Backward and Forward transport commands now have an additional stop
at first clip start point.
- LV2 Atom/MIDI buffering support is finally entering the scene; LV2
Worker/Schedule support is also included in a bold attempt to convey
non-MIDI event transfers between plugin and its UI.
- MIDI Clip editor (aka. piano-roll) and MIDI Tools fix: avoid note-on
events of zero velocity, which conventionally equates to a dangling
note-off event and dropped into oblivion sooner or later. There's no
more need for Shift/Ctrl keyboard modifier to change in one single
step all the MIDI events that are currently selected (now consistent
- LV2 Presets support now entering effective operational status; a new
local option has been added (cf. View/Options.../Plugins/Paths/LV2
Presets directory; default is ~/.lv2).
- Dropped XInitThreads() head call as it was never useful but on those
early days of JUCE VST plugins.
- Italian (it) translation added (by Massimo Callegari, thanks).
- Clip fade-in/out dragging now follows snap-to-beat setting.
- Late modern eye-candy indulgence: alternate shaded stripes, on every
other bar as in a "zebra" background option for the main tracks and
MIDI clip editor views (cf. View/Snap/Zebra).
- LV2 Time/position information is now being supported through special
designated plugin input ports (after suggestion by Filipe Coelho aka.
falktx). Additionally, the time/position information report has been
corrected and complemented for VST plugins.
- Audio vs. MIDI time drift correction has been slightly improved
against rogue tempo changes across looping cycles.
- Honor tempo/timing on MIDI instrument plugins. Happy regression fix
on getting MIDI note-offs at looping ends back in business; all the
necessary bumming for MIDI plugins to play nice in face of tempo
changes and whenever playback is started from anywhere but the
beginning of the time-line (ie. frame zero); thanks to rvega aka.
Rafael Vega, for the heads-up).
- Audio clip wave-forms were being displayed in inverted phase (ie.
upside-down) all this time ever since day one. What a shame! :)
- LV2 Programs interface is getting initial experimental status, to let
LV2 instrument plugins get on par with the DSSI and VST crowd for MIDI
bank/program instrument inventory and selection support (a sidetrack
complot with Filipe Coelho aka. falktx, thanks:).
- Dropped the old but entirely useless LV2 URI-unmap feature, now being
superseded by official LV2 URID (un)mapper.
- Russian (ru) translation added (by Alexandre Prokoudine, thanks).
- SLV2 deprecation process started, effective now at configure time.
- Added include to shut up gcc 4.7 build failures (patch by
- Another approach avoiding recursive observer widget updates. Also
applies to mixer, monitor and track state buttons.
- Update to latest LV2 state extension (by David Robillard, thanks).
- Loop-recording/take number displayed on clip title, respectively.
- Make(ing) -jN parallel builds now available for the masses.
- A one buffer period slack on audio engine's loop turn-around logic
might just have fixed an illusive report on loop-recording/takes
going progressively out-of-sync, most notably when recording under
large audio buffer period sizes (>= 1024 frames/buffer).
- Editing MIDI while playback is rolling, doesn't mute the track any
more, adding a point to the live editing experience.
- Finer granularity for direct access parameter mouse wheel changes.
- Dropped a dumb optimization for short full-cached multiple linked
/ref-counted audio clips which were incidentally out-of-sync after
rewind/backward playback. Once again and uncertain to be the last
take on this, got fixed (probably related to some oddity reported
by Louigi Verona, thanks).
2012-03-01 - The Echo Victor
- Direct access plugin/insert parameter changing tool-tip added.
- A Transport/Panic action enters the scene, in a nostalgic attempt
to emulate the all-MIDI-track-shut-off command of those drop-dead
and primordial MIDI sequencers of all time. Now finally a keyboard
shortcut and mouse click-away ;)
- MIDI editor command redo/undo adjustment now effective on all other
channel events besides notes, which overlap at the same event time.
- A new File/Unlink menu action is now made available from the MIDI
clip editor (aka. piano-roll) for detaching the current linked/ref-
counted MIDI clip into a new auto-incremented SMF filename.
- Some audio/MIDI content/media-file resource management is entering
the scene, taking care of some file-system house-keeping, this gets
evident on unsaved/dead recorded files being automaticaly removed
from the file-system, on session close.
- Killed the old and entirely deprecated LV2 Save/Restore and Persist
- Auto-monitored MIDI events are now merged/queued correctly into the
instrument plugin playback queue, avoiding sudden crashes, hopefully.
- Awesome patch from Albert Graef, thanks, which makes most MIDI SysEx
to get through MIDI instrument plugins at last; applies to DSSI and
LV2 plugins only.
- LV2 URID map/unmap feature support added.
- Plugin parameter value redo/undo command aliasing fix.
- Double-clicking in plugin list item now show/activates the plugin's
editor window (was toggling visibility/activation).
- Plugin path settings have been fixed again, with special regards to
an effective LV2_PATH environment variable settlement.
- Session properties dialog now asks to create a new session directory
if the given one does not currently exist.
- MIDI note names and their respective octave numbers are now compliant
with the ISO standard where middle C (60) is now C4 (was C3).
- Fixed audible glitch/pop at the beginning of an audio clip with long
quadratic or cubic shaped fade-in (reported by Lougi Verona, thanks).
- MIDI Controller Auto-Hook patch by Alessandro Preziosi, thanks.
- Make sure all MIDI note-off are always queued after their respective
note-on events when buffering for MIDI input of instrument plugins,
event though for zero duration MIDI note events (hopefully fixing the
hanging notes bug reported by Albert Graef, thanks).
- LV2 MIDI-fx plugin support has been repaired.
- Single-track clip selection logic corrected again, fixing multi-clip
selection drag/move across an odd number of distinct tracks (after a
bug report by Louigi Verona, on linux-audio-dev, thanks).
- MMC Locate time-code hour bit-field fix; MMC Locate now also on loop
turnarounds (patches by Albert Graef, thanks).
- Looping across multiple linked/ref-counted audio clips was incredibly
broken with complete out-of-sync playback. Hopefully fixed now, with
auto-unlinking/cloning all the affected audio clip buffers.
- Audio clip overlapping detection off-by-one(-frame) fix.
- MIDI Tools/Resize value ramp mode has been added (mocking the 'resize
to range' feature request by Daniel MacDonald aka. danboid).
2011-12-28 - The Delta Whisky
- Fixed initial LV2 plugin UI widget/window titles.
- Attempt to get any brand new LV2 plugins Qt4 enabled UI's working on
either slv2 and lilv build modes ;) (nailed by falkTX, thanks).
- Current clip is ultimately inferred from the one under the play-head
position and current selected track; the last one clicked over and/or
selected still has precedence (following request by Loiugi Verona).
- Drag-moving clips horizontally with the keyboard arrow-keys just got a
step better with a fixed minimum of one pixel, depending still on the
current snap-per-beat setting and horizontal zoom level (as suggested
by Louigi Verona, thanks).
- Get maximum and minimum peak values back when drawing audio waveforms.
- Automation play/feedback has been missed to show on those plugins that
provide their own GUI, now on par with all the rest 'homebrew' widgets
(eg. generic plugin properties dialog).
- All plugin parameters automation and selection were left inaccessible
until the generic native plugin dialog is eventually shown, now fixed.
2011-12-16 - The Charlie X-ray
- Fixed a probably old lurking destructive bug, which was incidental to
when an invalid or non audio file is imported, intentionally or by
mistake, into new or existing audio clips (eg. importing a MIDI file
where an audio file is expected).
- Force audio file closing to occur on the very same disk-write (sync)
thread, possibly mitigating an old random crash issue lurking in the
vorbis reference encoder (recording) re. the non thread-safeness of
the vorbis_analysis() final call.
- Fixed extraordinary shadow-playback of audio clips which extent were
longer than the respective audio file length.
- Default session file format option now promoted (see
View/Options.../General/Session) in the way of whether file suffix gets
honored upon session open or save (.qtr, .qts or .qtz). This brand new
option also applies for default state file format on a JACK-session
- The View/Options... (aka. user preferences) dialog sees a new
arranjement in layout, with some options moving into this brand new tab
page called General.
- LV2 State extension support has been added, which shall replace old LV2
Persist extension interface in the near future. It also replaces the LV2
Files extension from now on (thanks to Dave Robillard).
- Dirty MIDI clips are now auto-saved when MIDI track properties get
changed through its own dialog.
- Fixed one probable too old crash when canceling a new/add track dialog.
- MIDI SysEx event list editing is now fixed.
- Once again, make sure all recorded clips start and end at the very same
position when multiple track recording is turned on/off, while playback
is still rolling.
- Fixed Makefile.in handling installation directories to the configure
script eg. --datadir, --localedir.
- Possible attempt to improve in-flight recording clip display, especially
when looping and MIDI clips are involved.
- MIDI clip revision (re)numbering paranoia has been improved as much to
avoid MIDI file clashes as much as possible while editing multiple MIDI
clips which reference the same SMF and track/channel.
- Creating new or updating existing buses with exact same names of any
current dedicated inputs/outputs (which are implemented as special
covert buses) is now disallowed.
- Loop-recording/takes functionality is now ready for the masses and
accessible from brand new Clip/Take menu (Select, First, Previous, Next,
Last, Reset and Range...; the latter is actually being provided as bonus
feature :) as to fold any given clip into so-called takes, simulating
loop-recording mode over an arbitrary range).
- Loop-recording/takes infrastructure integration is sneaking in: all
clips recorded under a loop/cycle range may now get split (folded) into
one or more so-called takes. A new option is now provided, as to select
which take is about to retain after the recording ends, either the First
or the Last one. Just turn this mode off (None) and keep with the old
recording behavior, where clips are laid out unfolded through the
timeline, as usual (see menu View/Options.../Display/Loop recording
- Improved robustness in face of disabled audio buses when global maximum
number of JACK (audio) ports is surpassed.
- Improved single-track clip selection status logic.
- Clip/Unlink action is now available for detaching linked/ref-counted
MIDI clips, renaming and saving into auto-incremental SMF filenames.
- Temporary session archive directory now (pre)fixed with program name
- Fixed VST GUI editor window title on first show.
- Fixed build for ancient VST-SDK 2.3 (32bit only).
2011-10-05 - The Bravo Yankee
- More LADISH support: SIGTERM signal is now trapped
for graceful application close.
- Improved paste-repeat snap precision when dealing
with large repeat counts.
- Czech (cs) translation added, by Pavel Fric.
- Added a few snap-to-beat divisors (unusual Beat/5,
Beat/7, Beat/9 and Beat/10) for completeness sake.
- Such a simple change of mind with a visual twist:
the "A" track automation button/menu has now been
moved to the right-most, as it belongs ;)
- Auto-connection of dedicated audio outputs is now
optional for default audio master bus, metronome,
player and MIDI instrument plugin dedicated audio
- Finally, after a pitiful large brain-dead period,
generic plugin forms are now showing all possible
controllable plugin parameters featuring a paged,
tabbed dialog, whenever applicable.
- Special hack/fix for JUCE based native VST plugins,
which are the most actually found with a GUI editor,
skipping explicit shared library unloading and thus
avoiding some mysterious crashes on session close
and/or application exit.
- Support for MIDI-fx plugins (native VST and/or LV2)
is now implemented and functional (intra-chain only).
- Instrument plugin bank/program selection was found
broken or dead in the water, specially on VSTi, now
finally fixed again.
- VST plugin parameter value display on generic form
is now back in business (were dead regarding value
- All plugin's provided GUI editors are now honored by
being popped up first, instead of the usual but good
old generic plugin form.
- Long overdue implementation of a dedicated MIDI file
player is now accessible from the MIDI files widget;
one can play the whole SMF or just a single track or
- Update to a newer VeSTige header, probably fixing an
old 32 vs. 64 bit mismatch.
- Avoid JACK session filenames/paths to be ever shown;
also avoid all buses ports (re)connections when JACK
sessions are (re)loaded, given the fact that session
management will take care of just that; more also,
untitled/default session names are now also picked
up to match current LADISH project name, obviously
given by LADISH_PROJECT_NAME environment variable,
whenever present (as suggested by Nedko Ardaunov).
- Paste-repeat floating selection has been fixed (was
showing only the last repeated selection).
- Coherence of tempo changes on audio and MIDI clips,
whether automatic time-stretching is in effect, has
been slightly improved, hopefully fixed.
- Bold attempt to get linked (aka. ref-counted) audio
and MIDI clips into practice (EXPERIMENTAL).
- Main track view now showing all clips above the grid.
- Added support for both new and older (deprecated uri)
lv2_external_ui extension (by Nedko Ardaunov).
- Following yet another great idea, and implementation,
by Holger Dehnhardt, who already brought us the new
aux-send insert plugin, thanks again, the so-called
direct access control option is now featured for any
plugin parameter right from plugin listings eg. mixer
- General resource consumption and management has been
slightly improved, due to internal buses allocation
- Fixed nasty crash-bug that was severely affecting all
sessions that had at least one insert (pseudo-)plugin
on any audio input bus.
- All automation curve nodes are now relocated whenever
disparate session sample-rate is detected on load.
- New aux-send/insert pseudo-plugin is now introduced,
allowing to route any track audio output to any other
audio output bus besides the nominal one -- thanks to
an original implementation from Holger Dehnhardt.
- New immediate edit/loop-range settings from current
clip extents, accessible on the main menu (Clip/Range
Set, Loop Set) and from MIDI clip editor menu as well
(File/Range Set, Loop Set).
- MIDI Names XML files (*.midnam) may now be imported
into MIDI instrument definitions. (EXPERIMENTAL)
- Avoid cursor reset while editing MIDI events list
(fixes bug reported by Frank Neumann).
- Just some typos fixing (patch by c-korn).
- Track view automation curve editing mode has been
slightly fixed, now allowing for other previously
existing point-and-click mouse operations.
- Default automation curve mode is now preserved
(following a suggestion by Alexandre Prokoudine,
2011-07-22 - The Alpha Zulu (TYOQA)
- MIDI controller learn/catch-up sees the way in:
MIDI controller changes are now only effective
after catching-up with their respective program
parameters, avoiding abrupt jumps and keeping a
safe and continuous behavior.
- Track/Height menu is now featured, giving access
to Increase, Decrease or Reset the current track
- All changes to audio gain and panning on tracks
and buses are now applied following a piece-wise
linear ramp, reducing the old nasty clicks, pops
or zipper artifacts that might be awfully audible
on some situations, most specially on automation.
- All zooming in/out is now relative to either the
viewport center or current mouse cursor position
if found laying inside.
- TYOQA! the underground sources have emerged:...
after years in the making, track automation, or
dynamic curves as some like to call, is finally
a reality, tricky but real ;)
- Audio clip anti-glitch/ramp-smoothing effect is
now slightly independent of current buffer-size
- Once buried under the Edit menu, Clip menu has
been finally promoted to top main menu.
- Debugging stacktrace now applies to all working
- Fixed muted loop playback on audio clips ending
coincidentally with the loop-turn/end point.
- Old/deprecated JACK port latency support added
to audio recording latency compensation.
- Audio clip merge/export lock-ups now untangled.
- LV2 extension headers update.
- Fixed configure of newer LV2 host implementation
stack (LILV) when older (SLV2) is not present.
2011-05-26 - The Final Dudette
- Session file format saved on JACK session has
been reverted to archive/zip bundle one (.qtz)
now using temporary extraction directory when
loading an existing JACK session.
- Main toolbar time and tempo widgets get their
visual extents a bit more theme-friendlier ;).
- Some current working directory trickery is now
in place avoiding JACK session directories to
ever be picked as default, as much as possible.
- Ghost-playbacks are now avoided on audio clips
that are artificially extended beyond their own
audio file lengths.
- Recording clips now shown in a reddish shade;
also, it's all now shown a bit more correctly,
regarding the lead and within looping range.
- Custom tempo spin-box widgets now honoring the
decimal point cursor positioning for integral
up/down tempo value stepping.
- Audio recording latency is now compensated via
automatic clip offsetting.
- Audio peak file generation is now pipelined on
a single unique thread, instead of old one per
audio clip file basis.
- MIDI tempo/time-signature map import problem
has been hopefully fixed.
- Session and track names are now sanitized from
slashes (bug# firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Mouse wheel effect to sliders is now reversed.
- An appropriate export filename is now suggested
as default (Track/export Tracks...).
- Follow-playhead automatism is now temporarily
suspended while mouse cursor hovering prompts
for any editing action (applies to main track-
view and MIDI clip editor/piano-roll).
- Audio vs. MIDI time drift correction now takes
jack_frame_time() as audio time reference.
- Audio buffering internal synchronization logic
gets it bartered: three bools for a single byte
- Connections are now preserved as possible when
changing bus properties (View/Buses.../Update).
- A rare audio clip looping out-of-sync condition
got squared, hopefully the last ;)
- Yet again, the audio clip buffer/disk-streaming
optimization has been almost completely redrawn:
now there's one thread per audio track.
- Not replacing a session directory that already
exists on loading an archive file (.qtz) is now
fixed with an usable brand new untitled session.
- The major thread optimization has been slightly
improved: the audio clip buffer/disk-streaming
thread is now served in a FIFO manner (was LIFO).
- Custom time/tempo spin-box widget change fixup.
- Audio clip filename change segfault/crash fixed.
- Make sure all clips in multiple recording tracks
start and end at the very same position whenever
recording is already engaged and rolling.
- Hopeful fix to a potential audio buffering race
condition, which was a probable cause of random
- Avoid recursive observer widget value updates.
- Almost complete rewrite of the main track-view
selection and redrawing logic, taking advantage
of the fundamentally static graphical backstore.
- Autonomic resizing of mixer bus splitter sizes.
- Improved timing for monitored MIDI events being
buffered though MIDI instrument plugins, while
playback/transport is rolling.
- Audio peak/waveform is now slightly tweaked from
the early optimization days (master C++ guru has
always said that was root of all evil anyway :).
- MIDI controller mapping now with "Invert" value
option. Also, new "Inputs" and "Outputs" buttons
have been added as helpers for MIDI control port
- Main left pane vertical splitter resize hack,
avoiding some track list update re-entrancy.
- Inserting a LV2 instrument/synth plugin on an
audio track or bus were causing immediate crash,
now fixed (give or take some event buffer stub).
- Plugin Activate All/Deactivate All menu fixing.
- Make sure given session directory has all the
necessary access permission (read/write) while
on session properties dialog.
- Dedicated audio outputs setting for instrument
plugins inserted on the MIDI track properties
dialog were not being honored, now fixed.
- Force update/close of all MIDI clips and their
respective editors (piano-roll) if open, when
changing the global session tempo (BPM).
- Removed the misleading "(Any)" special channel
value while on MIDI controllers/learn dialog.
- Floating tool-tips now being shown also while
on mouse rubber-banding (drag-select).
- Audio clip pitch-shifting change fixing; also,
tooltips now showing semitones units instead of
a clueless percentage.
- Rendering audio wave-forms while recording is
now a little bit smoother than before.
- New main track-view clip selection tool: invert
current selection (Edit/Select/Invert). The MIDI
clip editor (piano-roll) also gets proper range
selection tool (Edit/Select/Range).
- More eye-candy: muted/non-soloed tracks are now
slightly shaded on the main track-view.
- A major hidden optimization has been implanted:
all audio clip buffer/disk-streaming threads are
finally merged into a single multiplexing thread
(was one thread per audio clip longer than 3 sec.
which was quite wasteful and creepy;).
- All plugin list view changes are now properly
signaled to track properties and bus manager
dialogs and enable their respective acceptance.
- Two brand new MIDI tools make their appearance:
Scale-Quantize and Snap-to-Scale. The later may
be readily accessible from the MIDI clip editor
toolbar and menu (check View/Toolbars/Scale and
- Mixer track strips are now completely redone
whenever a track gets moved or re-ordered on
main track list-view.
- Transport auto-backward option is now honored
whenever a new session gets loaded.
- LV2 extension headers update.
- Got rid of recent QX11EmbedContainer bloating,
while introducing gtk_init() as for LV2 GTK UI
- Tempo tap helper button was added to View/Tempo
- Executable DSSI plug-in GUI detection fixed.
- Backout default session directory after cleaning
up extracted archive/zip bundle session (.qtz).
- Files widget item selection feedback/focus fix.
- MIDI editor anchor event floating tool-tip fix.
- Probable fix for GtkStyle usage detection (might
be gentoo specific).
2011-01-18 - The Fiery Demigoddess
- MIDI controller mapping/learn is now possible
on all mixer controls (monitor, gain, panning,
record, mute, solo).
- An internal rewrite (aka. refactoring) have been
carried out, making sure that all track state
action buttons (R, M, S) are now all under the
observer pattern umbrella.
- Single track range selection is now available
on main menu (Edit/Select/Track Range; default
keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+R); additionally
to vertical range and horizontal track actions
(Edit/Select/Range, Track) all these operations
can now toggle over the previous selection.
- Direct clip selection from Files list item has
been brute-forcefully implemented (after being
challenged by Jiri Prochaszka aka Anchakor:).
- Files tree widget sticky "New Group" item fixed.
- A new menu option has been added (View/Tool Tips)
to show/hide a floating tool-tip while dragging,
moving, resizing or pasting selected clips or
events over the main tracks view and MIDI clip
editor (piano-roll) respectively, displaying
current target position and status.
- Attempt to reset audio/MIDI time drift compensator
on every engine start and loop turnaround.
- Moving the punch-out marker over the main track
time ruler was failing to shrink the punch-in/out
range, now it does (not).
- MIDI clip tools (quantize, transpose, normalize,
randomize, resize, rescale and the new timeshift)
are now all accessible from the main tracks view
(Edit/Clip/Tools menu) and apply to all events on
current selected clip(s).
- LV2 Persist extension support is being introduced.
- A new timeshift MIDI tool has been added, after
an awesome patch by Jiri Prochaszka aka Anchakor;
applies to selected events between edit markers,
distorting their time and duration (optionally),
either slowing down and accelerating, based on
a given parameter P value.
- Audio clip/buffer pitch-shifting fixes with regard
to latency correction due on the RubberBand library
one-pass (real-time) processing mode.
- New Send Gain and Dry/Wet control parameters have
been implemented for audio Inserts pseudo-plugins.
- MIDI channel/master volume enqueued events are now
affected by the current track/bus volume (0-100%).
- Prevent old rounding error when resetting to plugin
parameter default value with the mouse middle-button
click while hovering a slider widget (observer).
- A quantize percentage has been added to MIDI clip
editor quantize tool (Tool/Quantize...) for time
and duration quantization (0% for none; 100% for
full regular quantization).
- Metronome bus/ports are now created at engine start
and not when user switches it on anymore.
- Make sure all audio clip buffers are in sync upon
smooth-ramping going off and playback is rolling.
- Copy-pasting across controller event types is now
possible on the MIDI clip editor (aka piano-roll).
- Finally indulged, the genuine transport stop button
makes its appearance on main toolbar and menu.
- Main tracks grid visibility option (View/Snap/Grid).
- Yet another off-by-one (frame) audio buffer bug got
squashed away: rare symptom was that some audio clips
were being left dead silent right after playback of
their first looping period.
- Plugin parameter name/label now a proper attribute
of its respective MIDI Controller observer instance,
allowing to be shown on dialog title (MIDI learn).
- Default session file format saved on JACK session
demand is now the bundle archive/zip one (.qtz).
- Plugin selection dialog now shows whether a plugin
features its own editor (GUI) and/or external state
- Help/Shortcuts... window positioning and sizing are
- All plugin chain changes over the track properties
dialog now sure counts as a dirty action.
- Newly extracted archive/zip session directories are
now removed automatically from the file-system on
session close, prompting the user for confirmation
(cf. View/Options.../Display/Confirm Removals).
- Ctrl+mouse-wheel is now set for zooming in/out, on
main track-view and all applicable MIDI clip editor
views (piano-roll), according to current zoom mode
(see View/Zoom Horizontal, Vertical or All for both
- New MIDI clip editor (piano-roll) mouse hovering
- After too many a user request, a brand new session
archive file type is being introduced (.qtz) which
tries to bundle in one single zip archive all the
media and contents of a session.
- Add that to eye-candy: either loop or punch-in/out
outer ranges are now shaded on the main track-view,
thumb-view and MIDI clip editor (piano-roll) views.
- LV2 GTK UI plug-in hosting is now roaring its ugly
- Ignore all initial and decremental notifications of
audio engine's buffer-size changes.
- Internal audio buffer loop points were not being set
properly for non-zero clip offsets, leaving some as
severely out-of-sync while rolling over loop turns.
Now fixed again, hopefully.
- Avoid audio peak file clashing when deriving from
audio sample files with distinct absolute paths but
the very same file (base)name.
- A new MIDI editor (piano-roll) tool has been added:
Rescale event times, durations and/or values by a
percentage between 1 and 1000% (adapted thanks to
patch by Jesse Lucas).
- Attempt to mitigate audio clip sequencing glitches
on single-core/single-thread machines.
2010-09-30 - The Furious Desertrix
- While moving multi-selected MIDI events around the
clip editor (aka piano-roll), with help of keyboard
arrow keys, that is, was not clear which one was the
so-called "anchor" event, the one which positioning
gets honored for snap-to-beat business. Not anymore:
the anchor event now defaults to the earliest in time
or the one the user's last point(-click)ed.
- MIDI control observer pattern implementation has
sneaked in, making it ready for the so-called and
long-awaited "MIDI Learn" feature and arbitrary
MIDI controller assignment, for plugin parameters
- MMC DEFERRED PLAY doesn't cause transport state to
stop if currently rolling.
- Audio clip merge processing might have been skipping
a few initial frame blocks, now fixed.
- Clip selection and plugin parameter hash optimization.
- Anti-glitch audio clip macro fade-in/out fixed again.
- New clip fade-in/out slopes (curves) are introduced,
partially adapted and refactored from those easing
equations of Robert Penner's fame.
- Clip fade-in/out non-linear slopes are now shown as
actual WYSIWYG curves.
- Escape key now closes generic plugin widgets as ever
found usual elsewhere.
- Picking nits: unselect current track when clicking
on any gray empty area, also accessible from a new
menu item: Track/Navigate/None.
- A nasty and deadly MIDI resolution overflow has been
finally fixed, allowing for long MIDI sequences (1h+)
to load correctly on 32bit machines from now on (was
perfectly fine on 64bit though).
- MIDI editor selection hash optimization in face of
reasonably huge event sequences.
- MIDI controller mapping finally refactored to support
some other MIDI event types than just CC (0xBn) ones.
- Nitpicking fix: corrected main track-list (left pane)
display when no track is currently selected.
- libX11 is now being added explicitly to the build link
phase, as seen necessary on some bleeding-edge distros
eg. Fedora 13, Debian 6.
- New audio metronome bar and beat sample gain options.
- Progressively, the observer pattern is being finally
introduced, targeting all potentially automation
controls and widgets as plain ground-zero for the
(ultra-)long overdue automation feature.
- MIDI controller mapping of still non-existing tracks
were being implicitly assigned to the last, highly
numbered, existing track. Now fixed.
- Moving from old deprecated Qt3'ish custom event post
handling into regular asynchronous signal/slot strategy.
- Muting/soloing tracks while playback is looping was
leaving current audio clip out-of-sync whenever that
same track is later un-muted on any other preceding
clip. Now hopefully fixed.
- MIDI Clock support makes its first appearance.
- All tempo (BPM) calculations are now compliant to the
MIDI conventional equivalence between beat and quarter
note (1/4, crotchet) as common standard time division.
- Automatic audio time-stretch option is not enabled by
- Standard warning Apply button is now only shown when
dismissing dialog changes are actually valid.
- Make sure non-dedicated metronome and player buses are
properly reset and reopen when changing regular audio
buses (hopefully fixing bug re. crash after changing
- Hopefully, an outrageously old bug got squashed away,
which was causing random impromptu crashes, most often
when importing audio clips while looping and play-head
is any near the loop end point.
- General standard dialog buttons layout is now in place.
- Fixed main track view off-limits play-head positioning.
- Main tool-bar Time and Tempo spin-boxes, may now have
their colors correct, as for most non-Qt based theme
engines (ie. Gnome). Green text on black background has
been and still is the the intended aspect design ;)
- MIDI file import and internal sequence representation has
been changed to be inclusive on all bank-select (CC#0,32)
and program-change events which were previously discarded
while honoring MIDI track properties. Interleaved SysEx
events are now also preserved on their original sequence
positions instead of squashing a duplicate into the MIDI
bus SysEx setup.
- Attempt to include the VeSTige header by default, as for
minimal VST plugin support.
- JACK transport support has been slightly rewritten, in
fact the sync callback is now in effect for repositioning.
- The MIDI clip editor (piano roll) widget won't be flagged
as a tool window anymore.
- A tempo adjustment tool is making inroads from the menu,
as Edit/Clip/Tempo... (factory shortcut: F7).
- Audio tracks auto-monitoring is now effective on playback.
- Make sure to ask whether a dirty MIDI clip should be saved,
upon resizing or stretching its edges.
- Backward and Forward transport commands are now taking
additional stops on loop points.
- Attempt to optimize track solo/mute redundant transactions,
in special regard to MIDI track events which were being
duplicated on soloing and temporarily muted on unsoloing.
2010-05-21 - The Funky Deviless
- Introducing a non-painting edit sub-mode on the MIDI clip
editor's piano-roll (see Edit/Select Mode/Edit Draw menu).
- The MIDI clip editor (aka piano-roll) is now a lot more
quiet about saving its own dirty content, delegating all
salvage questions to main session control.
- Don't show session restart message box when changing JACK
transport mode option anymore.
- Dedicated MIDI control bus switching fixed. Was closing
the wrong bus eventually and crashing the whole show with it.
- MIDI bank/program backout has been corrected on MIDI track
properties dialog rejection (ie. user cancellation).
- MIDI bank select method has been corrected for tracks with
no instrument defined.
- LV2 UI Instance and Data Access extension support added;
reduce LV2 external UI parameter value update flickering.
- JACK session infrastructure support. (EXPERIMENTAL)
- Initial widget geometry and visibility persistence logic
has been slightly revised as much to avoid crash failures
due to wrong main widget hidden state.
- Initial mixer widget extents are now set reasonably larger.
- General source tree layout and build configuration change.
- Ever since smooth-ramping introduction that having at least
one input-only buses were causing immediate playback crashes,
now hopefully fixed.
- Refactored for common engine client nomenclature, primarily
provided by JACK, then secondarily passed to ALSA Sequencer,
getting rid of the JackUseExactName requirement and lifting
the unique/single instance restriction in the process.
- Current JACK Transport, MMC Device, and MIDI Song Position
pointer (SPP) control modes are now saved/loaded as part of
session option properties.
- MIDI clip editor's context menu crash on Qt >= 4.6 has been
- An ancient double-free corruption has been finally fixed
at the audio/MIDI bus connection persistence logic.
- Improved visibility of track state buttons text (R, M, S)
when turned on dark colored themes.
- LV2 Save/Restore extension support kicks off.
- MIDI engine read-ahead period has been shortened to half
than it was since inception--now it's a 500msec cycle.
- MIDI clip editor event list gets its due inline editing,
for time, note, value/velocity and duration columns, just
one double-click away over the target cell ;)
- Add-plugin selection dialog position and extent are now
remembered across invocations and application sessions
(tipping by Frank Neumann).
- MIDI clip time-stretching is now made available through
the same gestures as audio ones, by just shift+dragging
either of the clip edges.
- Drag-and-copying plug-in instances (cloning) is now fixed
with regard to parameter value replication.
- MIDI clip editor snap-per-beat setting is now independent
from main multi-track view; File/Save As... dialog fixed;
the current event selection is now kept floating as long
as it's possible after editing command actions; finally,
edit mode has been extended to free-hand event drawing,
chalking off (piano roll) draw mode from the TODO list.
- Swing-quantize has finally made its overdue debut as an
additional MIDI clip editor tool (see Tools/Quantize...).
- Almost since its inception, audio inserts were injecting
garbage random noise when not being activated, now fixed.
- Dedicated audio output ports for MIDI track plugins, now
have their connection persistence back in business due on
2010-01-23 - A Friskier Demivierge;)
- Changing loop points while playback is rolling, with the
play-head any near, was leaving audio clips out-of-sync.
- MIDI event list view was missing some selected items with
the very same onset time, now fixed.
- When failing to detect a SSE enabled build, the CFLAGS
variables are now properly restored to their previous
sane state, preventing all subsequent dependency tests
from false positives (bug# email@example.com).
- MIDI clip editor (aka piano-roll) multiple selection has
been fixed (again) re. move/paste-snapping consistency.
2010-01-16 - The Frisky Demivierge.
- For all the DSSI plugins that have output control ports,
a host feedback/update process cycle is now being finally
provided: all output control ports are now marshaled to
their respective GUI process, rather often and when found
- MIDI clip editor (aka piano-roll) snap-to-beat behavior on
edit mode is now kind of more like 'filling-in-the-blanks'
(as Frank Neumann et al. wishes ;)
- Fixed MIDI clip editor mistake when reverting to initial
clip length, before closing and discard changes (thanks
to Frank Neumann, for spotting this one).
- LADISH Level 1 support has been added: SIGUSR1 signal trap
just makes it a shortcut to File/Save.
- Avoid parameter value flickering, due to duplicate command
invocation, most evident when changing values massively on
native Linux VSTi plugin editor GUIs (thanks to a detailed
report on this odd behavior, from Mike of linuxDSP.co.uk).
- Another TODO item bites the dust: MIDI event list editor,
now acessible from the MIDI clip editor menu (View/Events)
- Last used session directory is now made current on startup
only when no filename is given on the command line.
- Current snap-to-beat setting (time quantization) now affects
the anchor event only, while dragging, moving and/or pasting
multiple events over the MIDI clip editor (aka piano-roll).
- Make anti-glitch audio clip micro fade-in/outs independent
from current buffer size as much as possible.
- Audio/MIDI engine drift correction gets really sophisticated,
with the help of (now old) ALSA MIDI tempo skew facility.
- Edit/Clip/Import... menu option is now available for expedite
clip insertion from audio and MIDI file requesters.
- Set default session directory effective to file's location.
- Audio track/clip recording process has been target to special
refactorization across the internal audio engine process cycle,
in a late attempt to get self-bounce/recording effective and
working consistently for all track layouts.
- All session related dialogs are now set to window modality,
(were set to default application modality before) allowing
for continued input focus and interaction on all plugin/tool
- An off-by-one nasty old bug fixed in audio clip drawing, was
causing instant crashes on certain zoom levels of the main
- Graphical MIDI clip representation regarding note/pitch range is
now kept as much as possible across clip edits (cut, copy, paste,
drag, move, delete, etc.)
- LV2 plug-in hosting has finally come into actual implementation;
only some and the most basic LV2 plug-in features are supported
at the moment; probably there's no big advantage against the old
LADSPA ones; there's some support for external UIs though; also,
LV2 MIDI/Event bare-bones support is included but chances are it
won't build nor work right on most of the setups out there. It's
a WIP host implementation anyways, as is the whole LV2 spec. for
that matter ;)
- Connections filter is now reset when widget is shown through the
View/Connections main menu or toolbar button.
- Audio bus auto-connection option is now applied when creating or
updating, newer or existing buses, respectively.
- Global configuration state is now explicitly saved/committed to
disk whenever View/Options... dialog changes are applied or when
a session is loaded or saved.
- Audio ramping spin-locking makes its smooth stuff, in an attempt
to reduce glitching and crackling when editing (due to its own
pseudo spin-locking) and toggling playback states.
- JACK Transport, MMC Device, and MIDI Song Position pointer (SPP)
control modes are now made optional (View/Options...), allowing
for discretionary configuration: None/Disabled, Slave/Input,
Master/Output or Full/Duplex (default).
- Session files may now be dragged and dropped over the main track
view and get loaded for business as usual (once quietly ignored).
- In an attempt to mitigate potential stack corruption and sudden
crashes, old commented out session pseudo-locks are now back in
business while executing clip editing commands (cut, paste, drag,
move, insert, delete) and playback is currently rolling.
- Adjusted first-time application window size to fit into 800x600
screen size and with reasonable initial dockables layout.
- Avoid duplicate snap-to-grid effect when changing the length of
MIDI clip editor events across non-zero clip offsets (after a
glitch reported by Ralf Mardorf).
- Late audio track processing optimization, suppressing all plugin,
mixer and monitor pass-through activity when given track is muted,
either explicitly or implicitly (ie. other track is in solo state).
- Entering System Exclusive events (SysEx) on the MIDI clip editor
(aka matrix/piano-roll widget), yet something not fully supported
anyway, even though allowed in edit mode, doesn't crash the whole
damn thing anymore, while saving the clip to a file.
- Strict aliasing avoidance, with plain and demanded use of 'union',
as much as to stop nagging warnings from gcc >= 4.4.1 (last seen
on src/qtractorMidiEvent.h hackery).
- Visual correct play-head position while changing zoom levels,
applicable to both main track and MIDI clip editor views.
2009-10-05 - The Fussy Doula.
- External preset files are not removed nor deleted from the
- Connections support for UTF-8 encoded client/port names.
- Force track and clip properties dialog widget to be modal
as it should from their beginning dawn.
- Audio effect send/return aux. inserts are implemented as
special pseudo-plugins (Plugins/Inserts).
- Reset play-head position on auto-backward and keep playback
rolling when continue past end transport option is not set.
- MIDI clip editor (aka piano-roll/matrix aditor) gets better
on the virtual piano keyboard eye-candy side of things ;).
- Plugins are now also referenced by label, avoiding plugin
index clash/misses eg. when plugin object file/path changes
or is moved externally.
- Keyboard focus is now cleared/reset from the main toolbar
time and tempo spin-boxes when editing gets finished (eg.
Enter key is pressed).
- First audio metronome beat/bar now played back correctly.
- Client to/from port (dis)connections now found consistent
as good ol'QjackCtl behavior.
- All dirty open MIDI clip editors are now prompted to save
before the main application closes.
- Mixer level meters get their long deserved gradient look.
- Fixed any ghost clip selections that were haunting the
main track view, specially after undo/redo.
- Increased tolerance on reading corrupt MIDI files (SMF).
- A MIDI SysEx manager is being finally introduced, in some
primordial rather basic form though. MIDI System Exclusive
(SysEx) event strings may now be freely assigned to MIDI
output buses only, allowing for proper setup of external
outboard MIDI equipment. Each bus may have an unlimited
SysEx queue that gets sent out on every connection change
- A default MIDI instrument name may now be assigned to any
MIDI output bus (see View/Buses.../MIDI).
- More legacy headers, stdio.h and stdlib.h, are yet again
necessary to build with gcc/g++ >= 4.4 (as patch noted by
Alexis Ballier on Gentoo bug report #274168, thanks).
- Bus manager dialog (View/Buses...) gets new columns on the
left pane buses list as for displaying number of channels
and bus mode.
- Crash when updating bus probably fixed.
- Fixed glitch displaying beat snap/grid lines on MIDI clip
editor, incidental to clips located at absolute zero time.
- Overlapped MIDI clips were rendering garbled note events
to DSSI/VSTi plugins, now fixed.
- New MIDI Playback/Queue timer (resolution) option is now
available (see View/Options.../MIDI).
- MIDI instrument definitions may now be imported from plain
2009-06-04 - The Flaunty Demoness.
- The MIDI clip editor (piano-roll/matrix editor), the main
track view as well, have been subject to usability fixing,
the most notable avoids clearing current selection as much
as possible when updating view contents (eg. changing zoom
levels does not reset current selection anymore).
- MIDI tracks channel bank/program and controller stuff are
now only issued when the respective bus connections have
changed, seldom on every playback start.
- MIDI controller mapping infrastructure, with file based
configuration management (see View/Controllers...), is now
in place, following an original contribution from gizzmo
aka Mathias Krause.
- Plugin chain buffer reset on playback start/stop is not
guarded by a momentary plugin de/activation anymore.
- Clip export may now be applied to multiple clips, sharing
common refactored code and same semantics as merging of
current selected clips.
- Improved, may be just fixed yet again, audio track export
synchronization and reliability.
- Clip merge is now featured both for audio and MIDI tracks
- Improved, or better said, fixed (again) the precision of
multi-clip final positioning as result of drag/move and
paste operations in main track view.
- MIDI track program number is now listed in 1-128 range,
in an attempt to be consistent with corresponding MIDI
track dialog drop-down list.
- MIDI editor snap grid lines get slight different color
then regular beat divisions.
- Reset local tempo map cursor on newer MIDI file imports
in a tentative to fix incidental but random crashes.
2009-04-04 - The Funky Dominatrix.
- MIDI editor command item execution order has been fixed,
correcting the redo/undo adjustment of overlapping note events.
- MIDI clip editor (aka. piano-roll/matrix editor) sees one
of its most wanted features introduced: visual snap grid,
now accessible through View/Snap/Grid option toggle.
- Actual non-zero session length gets back to status bar of
main application window.
- One potential buffer-overflow/memory-corruption crash bug
has been fixed, long due on most audio (down) sample-rate
conversions and affecting audio export in particular.
- MIDI track/channel patch information, ie. bank-select and
program-change events, are now being properly set on MIDI
- SSE optimization is back in town after being mysteriously
disabled since its dawn :/
- Looping and punch-recording now actively mutual exclusive
states: setting either one unsets the other off and vice-
versa. Also, punch-in/out is now made an undoable command.
- Moving tracks, any track, up or down, were leaving MIDI
playback and meter monitoring completely out-of-sync, now
- Automatic crash-dump reports, debugger stack-traces (gdb),
back-traces, whatever, are being introduced as a brand new
configure option (--enable-stacktrace) and default enabled
on debug build targets (--enable-debug).
- Audio/MIDI drift correction is now progressive, taking a
least significant differential approach, on every read-
ahead cycle and swallowed on loop turn-arounds, as before.
- Improved Edit/Clip/Normalize and Quantize commands, now
affecting the whole extended multi-clip selection.
- Playback is now being temporarily suspended while either
transport rewind or fast-forward rolling is engaged.
- A bad and shame-on-me bug was fixed: this was hideously
affecting any track/clip playback synchronization, most
noticeable after toggling solo/mute track states while
playback is rolling and skipping the play-head backward
over more than one clip under the same track.
- A floating-rectangle flip that showed while dragging new
files beyond the left of main track view is now gone.
- MIDI note event truncation on both track and clip export
has been fixed.
2009-03-13 - The Foxy Dryad.
- MIDI (re)connections fix; now caring for the ALSA client
and port textual names only, avoiding as much as possible,
any reliance on those volatile client and port numbers.
- Transport/Backward and Forward commands may now reset to
immediate full start or end of session locations, by just
pressing the Shift or Ctrl keyboard modifiers and clicking
their respective toolbar buttons.
- Default session/MIDI resolution has been set to 960 ticks
per beat (960 TPQN, where a beat equals a quarter-note);
it is worth of note that the previous default resolution
was set to one order of magnitude lower, ie. 96 TPQN ;).
- Making (dis)connections now also flags session as dirty.
- Internal Audio/MIDI engines queue/time drift correction
takes a brand new approach, specially adapted to rolling
- MIDI monitor refresh-cycle slight internal optimization.
- Converted obsolete QMessageBox forms to standard buttons.
- Transport/Rewind and Fast-forward commands may now be set
to double-speed, by pressing the Shift or Ctrl modifiers
while clicking their respective tool buttons.
- MIDI clip editor zoom ratios are now saved and preserved
- Time-signature is now directly accessible from the main
tempo spin-box which also reflects current tempo status.
- Time/frame spin-boxes now allow to step change each field
individually, depending on the cursor beam position.
- Make sure that Transport/Follow playhead option is only
effective when playback is actually rolling.
- Primordial attempt to include MIDI Song Position Pointer
(SPP), Song Start, Stop and Continue sequencing support.
- A completely new time-scale infrastructure is now in place,
with full support for session tempo and time-signature map;
this long due feature is primarily accessible through the
main menu, View/Tempo Map...; also by double-clicking on
the the main window and MIDI clip editor time rulers and
left-clicking on the main toolbar tempo/signature spin-box.
- Moving and resizing individual clips now cares for track
proper ordering and overlapping changes, avoiding nasty
out of sequence clips and other unpredictable effects.
- An expedite MIDI clip quantize command is now available
from the main track view menu (Edit/Clip/Quantize), which
simply applies the current snap-to-beat setting to a MIDI
clip range selection.
- Fixed that hideous bug affecting overlapped audio clips
when playhead gets moved backward, causing the playback
of those audio clips in particular, go out of sync.
- Tracks are now limited to their minimum height, specially
effective in face of vertical zooming.
- Zoom mode option introduced (on menu View/Zoom/Horizontal,
- Tempo beat type is a new session property; however it is
not yet user modifiable and currently disabled to default
MIDI quarter note (1/4).
- All open MIDI clip editor time-scales are now updated and
corrected when the main session time base changes (tempo,
time-signature, resolution, etc.)
- MIDI metronome fixed, preventing duplicate click events.
- MP3 audio file decoding was broken for way too long and
falling short for every file with custom frames, ID3 tags
and comments. Got shamefully fixed.
- Time signature denominator (ie. beat divisor) is now an
accessible and effective session property.
- Attempt to retain original size (clip length) of all audio
clips when changing the global session tempo and automatic
time-stretching is not an option.
2008-12-25 - The Fluffy Doll.
- Almost complete rewrite of the plugin configuration and
parameter initialization logic.
- MIDI bank/program selection is now taken into account on
plugins initialization and replication.
- Fixed initial parameter values for native VST plugins.
- Track form plugin lists are now properly (re)initialized
when track type changes.
- Generic plugin forms now have the option to show/hide the
parameter widgets through the new "Params" button.
- New auto-monitor toggle option (menu Track/Auto Monitor):
the current selected track is now set on monitor and MIDI
channel omni-mode automagically, as a convenient workflow
feature (kindly suggested by Holborn).
- MIDI clip editor Tools menu is not disabled anymore when
there's no selection, drop-down menu items are instead.
- Make all recorded clips to honor either the punch-out or
play-head accumulated position; resolve all pending MIDI
sequence note events on record stop/close.
- Major silent move: audio plugins chain are now applied
in a pre-fader/meter basis as is usually implied from
the mixer strip layout ie. signal flows from the top to
- All MIDI buses may now have plugins inserted so that
multi-timbral synth/sampler plugins get driven to their
- MIDI track plugin's dedicated audio output bus may now
be effective, as it seems, good old master audio output
bus was being used, no matter what.
- Paste-repeat command has been introduced, now allowing to
replicate and concatenate the clipboard contents over the
time-line, with a given repeat-count and optional period
(see menu Edit/Paste Repeat... on the main and MIDI clip
- Normalize tool on MIDI clip editor got rewritten from its
previous brain-dead, useless and utterly wrong operation.
- All time offsets and lengths are now zero-bar/beat based
when displayed in the BBT (bar.beat.ticks) format.
- MMC STEP gets adjusted to current snap-per-beat setting.
- Fixed broken initial buffering that was randomly crippling
those audio clips that fit integrally in cached and while
- Fix initialization of multiple instances of DSSI plugins
which implement run_multiple_synths (eg. fluidsynth-dssi),
preventing an instant crash on activation.
- Exclude deprecated VST elements from compilation.
- Export tracks dialog has new punch in/out range option.
- Somehow realized that looping and punch-recording are two
mutually exclusive states, at least until loop recording
(ie. takes) gets real.
- Fixed crash on tempo change; affecting the WSOLA based
time-stretching on all non-stereo audio clips.
- Incomplete audio peaks were being cached prematurely, fixed.
- Make way for paste/dropping items from the system clipboard
over the main track view. Cut/Copy/Paste/Delete of file items
have now this workaround fixed, wrt. Files widget keyboard
- Clip gain/volume propriety is now in place and reflected in
audio clip waveform drawing in particular.
- A new hideous progress bar is now lurking in the main status
line, as found convenient to display progress of the also new
clip tools (normalize, export, etc.).
- Clip normalize tool is now available (Edit/Clip/Normalise).
- Audio and MIDI clip file export is now available as a tool
- Punch in/out (range) recording is now in experimental shape,
with minimal settings and functionality, already accessible
through the main menus, transport toolbars and visible on main
tracks view and MIDI editors as magenta colored line markers.
- External MIDI control events for channel volume (7) and channel
panning (10) are now handled properly through session tracks.
- Session file templates make its debut with new usability option,
on whether new sessions are created based on existing template
file (see View/Options.../Display/Session/New session template;
nb. session templates are just regular session files but loaded
and saved with no media content (no clips nor files).
- Grayed/disabled palette color group fix for dark color themes.
- Implicit attempt to flush all pending notes for some, if not
most plugin instruments (eg. VSTi), on playback stop.
- Fait-divers: desktop menu file touched to openSUSE conventions.
- Internal refactoring alert: Session and Options instances are
now being redesigned as singletons, preparing to get out of the
way from the master GUI/MainForm instance.
- Clip drawing methods refactored so let the fade-in/out handles
get seen with transparency over the clip graphics content.
- Reset and continue looping even still when continue past end
transport option is not set and playback is rolling.
2008-10-05 - The Flirty Ditz.
- Slight optimization in audio and MIDI meters refresh rate.
- Another ancient bug has been squashed: MIDI events were being
recorded even though recording wasn't rolling; spurious event
times were being recorded due to an absent started queue.
- Major fix applied to audio track monitor metering, and most
importantly to plugin processing, correcting tentatively all
audio buffer offsetting and slicing due on loop turnarounds.
- Fixed a potential crash and/or simple record dismissal when
changing properties of a track already armed for recording;
prevent record engaged tracks from editing or removal.
- Lighten up the connections line and highlight colors, as seen
to fit best on some darker background themes.
- Several icons refined with slight transparent shadowing.
- Send/reset all MIDI buses and track controllers (ie. volume
and panning) only when main transport playback is started,
avoiding the pouring on eg. loop, playhead or tempo changes.
- Pressing the Escape key also clears current selection in the
main track-view and MIDI clip editor; resizing multiple events
at once doesn't need help from Shift or Ctrl modifiers anymore.
- DSSI and VSTi plugins get all their default parameters values
reset on MIDI program change.
- Several major fixes have been applied to the MIDI clip editor,
regarding snap precision and correctness, most specially due
on clips which weren't located on exact bar boundaries.
- Brand new usability feature introduced: mute, solo and monitor
toggling may now be applied to all tracks in session at once,
when issued with either the Shift or Ctrl keyboard modifiers,
which will set or reverse respectively all other tracks state.
- Audio buses plugin chain may be also accessed and edited from
the extended bus management dialog (View/Buses...).
- MIDI meter level default color is now set distinct from the old
lime-green one as in audio level meters.
- MIDI clip editor is now a genuine top-level window, fixing all
keyboard shortcut ambiguities with main application window.
- Mixer splitter panes are now collapsible and optionally hidden.
- Make MIDI instrument patch management a little more sane, as for
preventing the accidental insertion of blank instrument names and
automatic default bank/program selection in track properties.
- All connections are now based exclusively on the textual client
and port names, effective in particular to match MIDI bus ports
with disregard to their volatile numerical identification.
- MIDI file (SMF) header endianess fix (PPC users rejoyce:))
- Record armed tracks aren't muted for playback anymore, as this
was a severe crippling nuisance regarding input monitoring and
all mighty user experience after recording a simple take; for
instance, as the bottom line goes, there's no need to un-arm a
track from its record-enabled state anymore, for just recorded
material get heard on immediate playback; kick on the jam!
- Playhead position overflow fixed on negative MMC STEP commands.
- Thumb-view width proportions now based on minimal slack session
length instead of the auto-extending track-view contents width.
- Optimize audio clip drawing, most specially on zoomed-out levels.
- Bring the audio peak frames into some sort of cache, preventing
recurrent peak frame buffer reallocation and trashing.
2008-08-30 - The Fainty Diva.
- Gradient eye-candy now featured for clips, tracks and mixer strips
widget backgrounds, disabled on configure time (--disable-gradient).
- MIDI pitch-bend/wheel events are now captured/recorded properly;
in fact, there was this ancient bug, now squashed, as all MIDI
clips weren't being stored at all if there weren't a single note
- MIDI channel translation is finally in effect on monitored tracks,
specially the ones set in omni-channel input mode.
- MIDI open files dialog gets a few more file filter types now.
- Playhead position is now shown, updated and can be also set on the
main toolbar session thumb-view (shift-click to set the playhead).
- The floating selection, as shown for a clipboard pasting operation,
has been corrected regarding time scale (horizontal zoom) changes,
while in the main track-view. Also fixed final position snapping
- Current tempo and snap-per-beat setting now survive session cycling.
- DSSI plugins implementing run_multiple_synths (eg. fluidsynth-dssi)
are now formally supported according to the DSSI spec (hopefully);
note that previously one could only have one DSSI plugin instance
loaded in session in any given time, otherwise a sudden crash was
in sure demand when either plugin got activated.
- Audio plugin outputs now overrides each other when the number
of output ports does not match the number of mix-down audio
channels and thus fixing a nasty crash bug in the process.
- All custom font sizes are now set relative to default global font.
- Changing loop points by dragging on the time rulers is now mapped
as undoable/redoable commands as it ought to be ever since.
- Drop-span option (View/Options.../Drop multiple audio files
into the same track) now takes into effect the current session
snap-per-beat setting when concatenating multiple audio clips.
- All plugins get their default bank/program selected on insertion.
- Make record armed tracks muted for playback, a needed regression
to let both audio and MIDI tracks behave consistently regarding
input monitor switching through output.
- Fixed a pretty old and shameless bug regarding MIDI clip recording,
in which cases the queue start time offset was not taken into account,
with captured events being recorded with erratic long delays.
- Almost complete refactoring of the clumsy audio peak file classes,
possibly making it even clumsier but straight neverthless, with the
noble and final aim to build it in-flight and draw the waveforms
while recording is rolling.
- Recording clips get their initial name labels drawn while fade-in/out
handles are dropped as found pretty useless while recording.
- Escape key now closes connections and mixer widgets as found usual.
2008-07-18 - The Frolic Demoiselle.
- MIDI clip filename revision logic is now introduced, thus avoiding
the proliferation of several numbered SMF's on each edit/save; some
lurking bugs were exposed in the MIDI clip externalization method
but promptly squashed.
- Fixed a mouse release event glitch while in drag-and-drop items in
the Files tree list widget.
- A dummy plugin type option has been devised, just to bear with some
troubled behavior of the lovely JUCETICE plugins (View/Options.../
Plugins/Experimental/Dummy VST plugin scan). Bad news are that all,
yes all as in every native VST plugins, are indistinguishable from
being just pure audio effects, either mono or stereo, whatever, and
thus all being considered full-blown stereo VSTi instruments (which
are the vast mainstream and rather interesting majority, nevertheless:).
- The plugin selection dialog (Add Plugin...) now features the option
whether the selected plugins should be activated on insert.
- Mixer strip titles now have distinguishable type icons, either for
audio or MIDI, and shown on all buses and track strips.
- Major optimization breakthrough: muted audio tracks aren't streamed
any longer, saving precious CPU cycles from decoding, resampling,
pitch-shifting, time-stretching, plugin effects, whatever.
- Incredible as it might be, audio/MIDI track record monitoring is
now mixed (or merged) with rolling playback content, thus not as
mutually exclusive between record and playback states anymore;
also, track mute/solo states doesn't apply to recording material
- Main form timer slot gets corrected and now independent of current
process buffer-size in regard to JACK transport synchronization.
- All file references in session state file are now stored as relative
paths to main session directory.
- DSSI/VSTi plugin presets can now be explicitly recalled from file
(ie. Open/load preset) through this new tool button whether visible
while in the generic plugin form.
- Due to some trouble with newer Qt >= 4.4 applications regarding font
size configuration, a new global user option is now available to the
rescue: View/Options... /Display/Base font size (default is no-op).
- Logarithmic scale is now taken into effect by control parameter
sliders, in the generic plugin editor dialog as provided by LADSPA
and DSSI plugin types.
- MIDI track bank/program does not default to zero (PC#0) anymore.
- Second attempt for Qt4.4 build support, regarding the bundled
atomic primitives, now corrected and way more seriously :).
- Long due DSSI/VSTi plugin host implementation has taken shape for
MIDI instruments (eg. soft-synth plugins); DSSI reached its full
host implementation and VSTi is already kicking as well.
- DSSI/VSTi plugin presets may now be stored to external XML files,
which should include all parameter values and configuration data
chunks, taken as proper state snapshot and subject for recall.
- Dedicated audio output bus option is now also accessible for all
MIDI instrument plugins, either set globally as a default mode in
View/Options.../Plugins/Instruments or in the plugin context menu
for MIDI tracks, as an undoable command.
- Fixed a potential crash-exception due to freeing a null-pointer,
raised on some ever stringent platforms and while adding tracks
to empty sessions, which is the same to say this was crashing more
- Loop turn-around is now taken care of, as this has been found
missing and causing noticeable gapping when un-muting or changing
MIDI track events while in playback.
- An off-by-one bug was fixed while inside MIDI cursor backward
seek method, which was missing all other events that have the
same exact onset timing.
- Attempt to load Qt's own translation support and get rid of
the ever warning startup message, unless built in debug mode.
(transaction by Guido Scholz, while on qsynth-devel, thanks).
- Only one application instance is now allowed to be up and running,
with immediate but graceful termination upon startup iif an already
running instance is detected, which will see its main widget shown
up automatically (Qt/X11 platform only).
- Clip fades have now a slight transparency.
- Avoid loop read-ahead on initial audio clip loading.
- Messages file logging makes its first long overdue appearance,
with user configurable settings in View/Options.../Logging;
options dialog was slightly rearranged and moved the Plugins
section into a new tab page.
- Audio/MIDI drifting correction was missing its own correct and
due (re)initialization whenever playback is (re)started; also,
MIDI metering synchronization has been fixed once again.
- Fixed session cursor backward seeking, specially applicable
when playback passes the end of overlapped clips.
- Fixed potential crash when opening bogus audio files.
- Time-stretch FIFO buffer implementation is now made generic,
as template, fixing a destructor memory leak in the process.
- Include legacy headers, stdlib.h and string.h, where necessary
to build with stricter gcc/g++ >= 4.3.
2008-05-02 - The Frugal Damsel.
- As one may find convenient sometimes, the global time display
format (frames, time or BBT) may now be changed on the main
transport time spin-box context menu.
- Left-clicking on the track list number column now toggles all
track content clip selection.
- Prevent audio-buffer initialization mashups when editing short
audio clips while playback is rolling and within clip region.
- Audio peak files gets a bit simplified, dropping the peak frame
count from its header; peak waveform graphics are now rendered
as straight lines when over the end of audio file.
- The drop-span option (View/Options.../Drop multiple audio files
into the same track) now also applies when importing tracks (as
in Track/Import Tracks/Audio...) to concatenate multiple audio
clips into one and the same new track.
- Audio and MIDI meter level colors are now user configurable (as
global configuration options, View/Options.../Display/Meters)
- First attempt for Qt4.4 build support, regarding the bundled
atomic primitives, which have changed upstream as advertised
(thanks to Paul Thomas, for spotting this one first time).
- Record monitor switch is now an accessible button option on all
track mixer strips; for visual consistency, the old bus "thru"
switch button has been renamed to "monitor".
- Force track-view position reset to origin on session close.
- Fixed segfault on inserting an external file into files widget.
- Mixer splitter sizes are now better saved/restored when closed.
- Track record monitoring is now a state option, being toggled
from the Track/State/Monitor menu; applies both to audio end
MIDI tracks: when set all input will be pass-through to the
current assigned output bus, including track plug-ins chain.
- Session dialog gets split in its own tab components, between
descriptive, time and view configuration ones.
- Drifting correction among audio and MIDI engines is now back,
but avoided while recording or should it be while looping?
- Time-stretching percent value gets its semantics inverted,
as thought consistent with ones general sense for relative
stretching ie., lower to shrink and higher to make longer.
this is a major up-side-down change and should affect all
sessions saved with time-stretched audio clips.
- Slack space in main tracks and MIDI clip editor views are now
proportional to viewport width, leaving enough room for drag
and moving content past the current session length, specially
at the lower zoom levels.
- Clip end time is now also shown on tool-tip.
- When armed for recording, MIDI tracks are now monitored and
filtered through their own output bus, thus having the same
behavior as audio tracks; this also implies that all record
armed tracks won't playback their current content material
when recording is engaged and rolling; track mute and solo
states are now honored on record monitoring.
- Audio clip pitch-shifting makes its first appearance, with
the optional help from Chris Cannam's RubberBand library.
- A new MIDI editor tool is available: note/pitch randomize.
- Avoid (re)setting the default session directory if a session
cannot be open or loaded for some reason.
- Another nastiness bites the dust: a subtle but progressive
drifting has been swept away from the audio buffer looping;
zero buffer flushing is now also taken into account, which
was the cause for serious drifting on time-stretched clips.
- A major digital audio processing bug was tamed: audio clip
fade-in/outs are now linearly piece-wise applied, even at
the clip edges, giving a much smoother rendering and thus
mitigating the nasty click-and-pop artifacts that were in
fact due to some early design optimization with a poor and
2008-03-23 - The Frantic Dame.
- Session length fixed (yet again) while extend recording; also
improved follow-playhead switching while playback/recording.
- Whitespace sanitization gets leaner for all recorded filenames.
- Run-time SSE optimization detection has been improved while on
configure; additionally, IEEE 32bit float specific optimizations
have also sneaked in.
- SSE optimization is now featured over all audio monitoring, and
most specially on audio bus buffering, lowering the CPU burden a
bit while doing track and bus gain, pan, metering and mix-down.
- Fixed MIDI clip move into new track, preserving the original
channel, bank and program whenever possible.
- Fixed session cursor seeking, specially regarding overlapped
clips, once gain.
- The MIDI editor gets new menu access to current MIDI clip track
(see File/Track/Inputs, Outputs, Properties); selection of MIDI
events has also been improved, specially regarding overlapped
- Clip split command enters the stage (see Edit/Clip/Split) about
splitting the current (selected) clip at the current playhead
position (red cursor line).
- Creating new clips from scratch is now finally permitted (see
Edit/Clip/New...); additionally, the clip properties dialog is
now also allowing for changing the filename (and track/channel
as special to MIDI clips).
- Record armed tracks are now properly monitored and fed through
their own output audio bus on mix-down, which includes plug-in
- The files widget get alternating coloured rows.
- VST plug-in preset values are now being restored properly;
individual parameter changes are now being queued for the
also convenient undo/redo command pattern.
- Some audio clip buffer-sync tweaks have sneaked in, improving
and fixing the rendering of full-overlapped, integrally cached
and/or offset clips altogether.
- Stuffed one primordial shot on XInitThreads() at the main head,
and let native VST plug-ins start behaving as they should, or
not; this might be in fact problematic and dangerous for people
who won't ever try the JUCE based plugins as from JUCETICE
(http://www.anticore.org/jucetice), due to some broken locking
mechanism in xcb; thanks anyway to mighty kRAkEn/gORe@JUCETICE
for this precious hint and from who knows best.
- True deterministic session length update has due fixed.
- Track menu has new accessible actions:
- Track/Inputs - show current track input bus connections;
- Track/Outputs - show current track output bus connections;
- Track/State/Record - arm current track for recording;
- Track/State/Mute - mute current track;
- Track/State/Solo - solo current track;
- Track/Navigate/First - make current the first track;
- Track/Navigate/Previous - make current the previous track;
- Track/Navigate/Next - make current the next track;
- Track/Navigate/Last - make current the last track;
- Track/Move/Top - move current track to top;
- Track/Move/Up - move current track up;
- Track/Move/Down - move current track down;
- Track/Move/Bottom - move current track to bottom;
- View menus have new accessible actions:
- View/Zoom/In - horizontal and vertical zoom-in (Ctrl +);
- View/Zoom/Out - horizontal and vertical zoom-out (Ctrl -);
- View/Zoom/Reset - reset both zoom levels to default;
- View/Snap - select current snap-per-beat setting;
- Plug-in forms don't auto-open on session reload anymore.
- Keyboard shortcuts icon item (Help/Shortcuts...) sneaks in.
2008-02-16 - The Futile Duchess.
- After some great user demand, keyboard shortcuts are finally
configurable, as found provisionally under Help/Shortcuts...,
for the main application menu and for the MIDI editor as well.
- Debian package gets SSE optimization disabled as default.
- At least some transport actions get to be non auto-repeatable
when pressed for much too long, as Play and Record, avoiding
the tumbling imposed from the keyboard.
- For the first time ever, jackd auto-start is now allowed (!).
- OSC service support through liblo gets optional at configure
time, now leading the way to proper DSSI plug-in hosting.
- All plug-in widget controls count are now capped to one hundred.
- Plugin paths setup is now made available on the options dialog,
overriding each of respective default settings, as implicit from
the LADSPA_PATH, DSSI_PATH and VST_PATH environment variables
(see View/Options.../Display/Plugin Paths).
- Clip fade-in/out lengths are now kept relative to tempo changes
and also to clip offset and length changes (clip resizes).
- Automatic time-stretching for all audio clips when session tempo
changes, may now be disabled/enabled as a global session option
(see View/Options.../Audio/Playback/Automatic time-stretching).
- Double-clicking on an empty area (de)selects all clips on track.
- MIDI capture (record) quantization is now an option, possibly
handy for some jerky performance musicians, as the one found
in myself ;) (see View/Options.../MIDI/Capture/Quantize).
- The global options dialog (View/Options...) has seen its Display
tab page being moved back and to the right.
- Major rewrite of the plug-in infrastructure, adding primordial
support for DSSI and native VST plug-in flavors.
- Drag-and-drop of plug-in instances are now allowed intra- and
inter-mixer strip chains, either on tracks or buses.
- Turning track record off while recording is rolling was leaving
the session in a inconsistent recording status, now fixed.
- A random but instant crash upon audition/pre-listening player
onset was hopefully fixed.
2008-01-05 - The Frivolous Debutante.
- Audio clip time-stretching makes its debut, with code adapted and
refactored from the SoundTouch library, under the (L)GPL umbrella.
- New "Options.../Audio/Playback/Quick seek time-stretching" global
option, providing a quick seek mode (hierarchical search) while
doing all audio buffer time-stretching.
- Changing session tempo will automatically apply the corresponding
time-stretch percent factor to all in-place audio clips. Audio
clip dialog also includes a new time-stretch property setting.
- Tempo changes are now affecting clip offsets correctly, keeping
the clip offset constant in time units (ticks), as are clip start
and length properties already.
- Mixer splitter sizes are now properly saved/restored when hidden.
- Extended multi-selection is now featured on the files widget; all
drag and drop functionality has been almost completely rewritten.
- SSE optimization is now enabled where available (via configure).
- Options for having separate dedicated ports for the audition/pre-
listening player output, audio metronome output, MIDI control
input/output and MIDI metronome output, are now in place.
- A brand new subtle option sneaks in, affecting the drag-and-drop
of the main track-view: View/Options.../Drop multiple audio files
into the same track, whether to drop multiple external files into
new or existing track as concatenated audio clips.
- The audio metronome makes its debut as an alternative to the MIDI
existing one; parameters include bar and beat audio sample files,
accessible from the View/Options.../Audio/Metronome dialog.
- Files widget action refactorization; the files context menu gets
its due item icons and a new menu item for direct audio player
- MIDI time resolution changes (ppqn, ticks per beat) now tries to
keep all session MIDI clip times unchanged as far as possible.
- MIDI channel volume and panning control change events, CC#7 and
CC#10 respectively, are now rendered unfiltered on playback.
- First rendition of the long due implementation of an audition or
pre-listening audio player is now in place; the files window got
this new play/stop control button on its lower-right corner.
- Actual instrument definition note (keys) and controller names are
now in effect on the MIDI editor, whenever applicable.
- Fixed instrument bank selection method, "Bank MSB" (2), which was
broken enough to never send the correct bank number.
- Mouse-wheel horizontal scrolling is now accessible on every view,
while pressing a modifier key (Shift or Ctrl).
- New auto-backward transport option: when enabled the playhead will
be reset backward automatically whenever transport stops playing.
- A suicide-crash has been fixed while invoking the bus dialog from
the respective mixer bus strip context menu.
- Master (default) buses are always set to Duplex mode, being now
an enforced update policy while on the Buses dialog.
- A stupid lockup bug (infinite loop) was spotted on the track bus
assignment method and squashed (thanks, lexridge).
- New keyboard shortcuts for toggling the Connections tool (F8) and
the mighty Mixer tool (F9) windows.
- Avoid showing a context menu while right-clicking on time rulers.
- Audio clip waveform drawing gets additional closing points.
- It is now possible to change the length/size of a clip by dragging
its left or right edges, while in the main track-view. Shift+drag
will also time-stretch to the resulting audio clip length.
- Another off-by-one mistake was corrected, which was causing audio
clips to go out-of-sync on loop turnover boundary; also changed
the loop turnaround strategy, now honoring already cached periods.
- A race-condition has been mitigated in the audio-buffer thread,
that was exposed and lead to sudden application freezing upon
changing some composite audio clip commands.
- Take absolute audio peak values only, making peak files a little
bit shorter and hopefully faster to load and draw as waveforms.
2007-11-30 - The Adolescence Prime.
- Drag-and-dropping of MIDI files without specific track or channel,
into existing tracks, is now rejected. The drop operation is now
allowed on the track-view blank area only, meaning the same as the
complete MIDI file import into session.
- Record actual MIDI clip length to last play-head position,
instead of time of last event in the recorded sequence.
- Connections item lists gets properly sorted, as intended.
- Clear connection persistance once an explicit discconnection is
issued on any of the (intrinsic) bus ports.
- MIDI output buses now get the panning slider to spit out some
GM system master balance (sysex) messages, being now enabled.
- Mouse hovering on the clip fade-in/out handles, while in the
main track-view, gets its long due cursor pointer feedback.
- Fixed a off-by-one boundary issue on MIDI clip event playback,
which were enqueuing duplicated MIDI events on every read-ahead
output thread processing cycle (1 sec).
- Transport menu and toolbar are now featured on the MIDI Editor.
- Use actual session name when asking to save changed session.
- Transport loop setting keyboard shortcuts swapped: Ctrl+L will
set the loop immediately, and Shift+Ctrl+L will toggle on/off.
- Changing MIDI event duration may now affect MIDI clip duration.
- Alternate sharp-note color lines have returned to MIDI Editor
canvas, as was the shadow color marking the end of MIDI clip.
2007-11-12 - The Twelfth Tight.
- Bus context menu is now accessible from respective mixer strip.
- Fixed a subtle crash-suicide issue when invoking the bus dialog
with a double-click over the corresponding mixer bus strip; also
fixed the sloppy ganguing mistake when changing mixer bus gain
(volume) and panning values.
- MIDI Omni mode (sort of) makes its entrance as a new MIDI track
property, meaning that is now finally possible for the capture of
any unfiltered MIDI channel event, without regard to the current
channel assignment, which still applies for playback purposes.
- Audio (pass-)through has been also implemented, now being a common
and consistent property of both audio and MIDI buses, provided
those are set in duplex mode (input and output).
- Re-touched follow-playhead and continue-past-end tool icons, again
to be a bit softer and not so bright as to hurt someones eyes.
2007-10-31 - The Eleventh Tower.
- Suspend auto-follow-playhead while dragging or moving content over
the main track and midi editor views; re-touched follow-playhead
and new continue-past-end tool icons.
- Playback is now forced complete full-stop whenever play-head goes
behind the current session length and/or loop-end and the newer
"continue past end" option is enabled from transport menu.
- Tool/child windows position and size preservation fixed.
- MIDI (pass-)through has been finally implemented, after several
kind requests, it applies as a property of duplex-mode MIDI buses;
this new setting is configurable from the View/Buses... dialog;
also from respective new input bus mixer-strip button; when enabled,
implies all incoming MIDI events at the input bus will pass-through
unchanged to the corresponding output bus, as found useful just for
direct monitoring one's performance without the help of any extra
circumvent or kludgy connections.
- Mouse cursor shape changes accordingly while hovering in header
time-scale rulers, both in main track-view and MIDI editor.
- Track-view clipboard paste action has been refactored, with the
user interface consistent with the same functionality featured on
the MIDI editor: the clipboard selection being pasted now floats
at the mouse pointer and can be moved around before placed into
its final position, either with the mouse or keyboard arrow keys.
- A unitialized member variable bug affecting all MIDI clips has
been discovered and squashed; this one has been lurking for quite
some time and was causing wrong clip editing results, specially
when tempo or meter differs between session and the MIDI file.
- Keyboard step-moving is now allowed while pasting in MIDI editor.
- Track-view clip selection can now be drag-moved into the void
(bottom) view area creating brand new tracks automagically.
- Losing focus resets all current keyboard step-moves in progress,
affecting the main track-view and all MIDI editor as well.
- As done before on the MIDI editor, the main track-view current
selection may be step-wise moved using the keyboard arrow keys
and the enter/insert keys for final placement; horizontal step
movement is quantized according to current snap setting; vertical
key-step movement is only allowed to selected clips belonging to
one single and the same track.
- Immediate session loop settting, accessible from the main menu.
- Track properties dialog gets fixed again in its auto-size treat.
- Another audio-buffer thread bug was scrubbed off, which was
causing spurious and audible garbage on certain loop workloads.
2007-10-09 - The Tenth Commencement.
- A bit more of precision is achieved over the metronome regular
ticking and both the audio and MIDI monitor meters.
- A rudimentary MIDI metronome is now in place; parameters, like
MIDI channel, bar and beat accent note, velocity and duration,
are readily configurable from the main menu, View/Options.../MIDI/Metronome
- Track properties dialog now gets tightly auto-sized, depending
whether its an audio or a MIDI track.
- MIDI clips are now auto-extendable when adding or moving events
beyond the clip length and while in the MIDI Editor, of course.
- MIDI editor current selection can now be step-wise moved using
the keyboard arrow keys and the enter/insert keys as for final
placement; horizontal stepp movement is subordinated to current
snap per beat setting, no less than unity; vertical step moves
are obviously quantized to the next semitone.
- Get configure to try and detect the correct qmake location and
insert it the search order, so let the qt4 tools take precedence
when --with-qt option is given and older qt3 ones coexist and
are found located ahead in the PATH.
- Drifting correction on audio and MIDI engines was seriously
infected in some kind of snafu conception, as evidence lead
to even worse drifting being detected to much of great despair,
specially after recording and/or bouncing audio tracks from
MIDI sequenced material. Credit must certainly go to Christian
Schoenebeck on splatting this sloppy one on the face.
- MIDI editing actions while playing now get immediate feedback;
this was possible to some internal interface redesign of all
MIDI editor accessory classes, making the MIDI clip now being
the main editing target object instead of just the MIDI event
sequence as it was previously.
- Simple as it could ever be, the build executive summary report
is now given on configure.
- The internal decoded frame list for MPEG 1Audio Layer III (mp3)
audio files (ie. via libmad) has been made one-time cached as
global shared objects, benefitting from the fact that the list
is always completely (re)built during the peak file computation,
and thus speeding up all frame accurate access operations (seek)
over this specific audio file format.
- More eye-candy is sneaking in the MIDI editor: there's new view
options on the View menu: Note Color and Value Color, affecting
note event colors according to pitch and/or velocity.
- New view option on the MIDI editor: on menu View/Note Duration
switches whether events are shown proportional to their durations
or as simple vertical candlesticks.
- New snap-per-beat divisors are now available (Beat/3, 6, 12, 24
and 48), giving support for triplets for the very first time
(after a heads-up suggested patch from Marko, thanks).
2007-09-08 - The Ninth Hitch Nail.
- MIDI edit tools (quantize, transpose, normalize, randomize,
resize) are all functional and ready for experimentalism;
gets in its own top-level menu and form with named preset
store and recall functionality (EXPERIMENTAL).
- Main form backward and rewind transport actions are now being
immediately enabled when playing from the session (zero-time)
- Audio and MIDI export sneaks in and in form and accessible
from the main Track menu (EXPERIMENTAL).
- MIDI track channel is now properly set on session (re)load;
track background color changes was missing the alpha setting.
- The mix-down buffering was fixed again, now taking multi-track
overlapping clips into consideration (was a lot more broken
since the recent glitch-looping fix).
- Dirty MIDI clip editing control has been fixed but still
somewhat hacky nevertheless.
- First attempt on solving a nasty MIDI editor bug, which was
quietly and severely crippling MIDI files while saving offset
- Session loop (re)setting is finally now an undoable command.
- Yet another insidious bug has been swept away from under the
carpet: once again on audio looping, some astonishing old and
crappy session cursor seek-backward statement was lurking to
be laid off. Gone now, simply as it is, growing old on this :)
- A tremendous bug has been fixed: audio looping is now a little
more glitch-free as the mix-down buffering was badly broken
even since its primordial implementation. Rejoice.
- Minor improvements on track-view cursor updates and visual
tracking while recording.
- MIDI editor windows get their keyboard accelerator/shortcuts
back in business, whether opted as tools always on top or not.
- The infamous "Keep tool windows always on top" global option
is now infecting the Connections, Mixer, Plugin and MIDI Editor
window instances with no probable regrets. To be used with
discretion, of course.
- Session update/initialization gets it clean on startup.
- Range selection action (Ctrl+R) is now back in business with
the added bonus of being accessible from all MIDI editor
- Common edit-head and tail cursor positions are now under common
control and display from all MIDI editor instances; the session
loop-start/end points are now also shown on every time-line and
share the same control behavior across all MIDI editor instances.
2007-07-19 - The Eighth Wanderer.
- Main toolbar tempo spin-box gets loose from keyboard change
tracking (Qt >= 4.3); custom spin-box compilation fix for
- Illusive but nasty Connections/Patchbay item tooltip crash bug
has been hopefully fixed (Qt >= 4.3); QComboBox::editTextChanged()
signal replaces old QComboBox::textChanged().
- Combo-box setup history has been corrected on restore, which
was discarding the very initial default (factory) contents.
- Make debian package build depend on libqt4-dev; win32 console
flag is back to qmake project file.
- MIDI instrument selection (e.g. on track form) gets fixed and
- Sorting method for the connections port list has been refactored;
potential crash bug fix on connections sorting method.
- Messages class accessor methods constness fix.
- Got rid of some autoconf redundand thingies on configure;
late debian changelog update.
- Desktop categories update: AudioVideo.
- README correction.
2007-06-23 - The Seventh Draught.
- Crash fix on the connections widget, was a matter of refactoring
the refresh/clear slots.
- Help menu added to MIDI editor form (redirected and same to main
- Clip properties form gets its proper sanity check, querying any
existing clip editor whether its safe to apply the new settings.
- Mixer sliders get their long due valued correction, hopefully.
- Transport backward and play/stop are now made accessible from
the MIDI editor widget, through their keyboard accelerator
shortcuts (backspace and space, respectively).
- Transport actions (play, rec, rew and ffwd) are now kept stable
on a single point, instead of being scattered all over the main
form code; transport visual feedback might get affected,
specially regarding the MMC processing.
- Application icon is now officially installed
- Spec file is now a bit more openSUSE compliant; just made RPM
requirements as exigent as the new debian ones.
- Paste cursor is now properly preserved after leaving MIDI editor
- Amazingly why this was not spotted before, the main application
logo-icon has been downscaled to the 32x32 pixel standard icon
- MIDI clip editor clipboard gets singleton status and is now
shared on all MIDI editor instances. Similarly to the main
track-view, shift/ctrl-left-clicking on the MIDI editor views
sets the current session play-head position.
- A desktop entry file has been included on install, at last.
- Clips in main track-view get more info in the form of tooltips.
- Major rounding fix to time-scaling and most specially on all
those internal MIDI I/O methods.
- Extended range selection from the time-ruler and key-list
headers is now possible by click-and-drag the mouse pointer.
- Play-head cursor is now also displayed and/or set position
on all open MIDI clip editors time line view. As in the main
application form, a new local follow play-head option is also
featured on the MIDI editor view menu and toolbar.
- All MIDI file save operations are now logged to main messages
and files are added to the main files list view.
- Initial debianization.
- MIDI capture/record file format (SMF Format 0 or 1) is now
an user option, introducing the new MIDI tab on the global
- A bad old-time session cursor glitch has been apparently fixed.
- Make sure the generic clip properties form is modal.
- Major rewrite and adaptation to the session time-scale properties,
making its way for a brand new command instance: the session-tempo
- Changing the snap-per-beat combobox value on the main window
toolbar does not make it as an undoable command anymore.
- Long due MIDI clip editor integration has come to reality.
- Major rewrite on the MIDI sequence file read/write methods,
in preparation to the coming MIDI clip editor.
- Status-bar session length label now gets rightly updated,
while extended recording, of course.
- Clip properties fade-in/out lengths, gets their old due
- Main transport time display is now an editable custom spin-box;
the Tempo (BPM) spin-box has seen new colors (green on black).
- Transport time display format option adds the new choice of
absolute frame number, alternative to previous time and BBT.
- The frame-time based spin-boxes, on the clip properties form,
were replaced with a new custom one, allowing for alternate
frame, time and bbt input/display formats.
- Time-scale helper class has been introduced.
2007-05-26 - The Sixth Lord.
- Audio/MIDI connections gets slightly refactored, contributing
for whole robustness, specially in case of incidental engine
- Mixer window gets a minimum default height bump.
- Clip fade-in/out type changes have been properly fixed.
- Complete refactoring of the command class pattern, making it
now derived from QObject and not having a reference to the
main form anymore.
- Inoperative context menu event handler has been removed from
- MIDI sequence note-on event tracking now uses faster QHash
class, instead of original QMap.
- Off-by-one bug fix on MIDI track write method, while parsing
co-incident note-on/off events in the wrong order and thus
leaving note events with an invalid (zero) duration; obviously
affecting MIDI recording in very special circumstances.
- Minor and rather innocuous drop at this time in the MIDI event
class structure: the flags member field.
- Port connections now get their lines correctly drawn; strangely
enough, the connection lines were being painted only for the
parent client items, probably since the Qt4 migration (aka.
- Early clip editing is in place (clip name, start, offset and
length parameters, fade in/out length and type).
- Some menu item text capitalizations.
2007-05-07 - The Filthy Fifth.
- Newer JACK 0.105.0 seems to bitch, probably correctly, about the
return value of the process callback. Make it to bitch no more by
ensuring the JACK client is always issuing the innocuous 0 (zero)
- Important fixes have been issued, affecting MIDI recording: MIDI
sequence zero-time event insertion; MIDI file pending note-off
processing on write-track method.
- Qt4 migration complete.
2006-10-31 - The Halloween Files...
This project's Git repository can be checked out through
anonymous (http) access with the following instructions:
git clone http://git.code.sf.net/p/qtractor/code qtractor-git
You then need to prepare the
configure script on the just created
qtractor-git source directory:
Hopefully, you'll be now with a proper source tree, ready for build.
For quite some time there are alternate Git repositories which are kept
in sync with the above sf.net one:
However, this doesn't mean that the Qtractor
project is about to migrate to brand new hosting whatsoever: the original upstream
source code repository is, will be, as ever was, always kept somewhere else still
in this world and universe.